Why become a member? ×

ACG preamp. Help needed

Sambrook

Tried some wonderful basses at the London Show, but none better than the Acg's. I was blown away by the filter preamp. I've already decided to order a bass from Alan, but I want to put one of his preamps in an existing bass. What I would like to know is how well it works with different pickups (not ACG).
Any input from all you wise ACG users would be much appreciated.

Hiya Sam? Where in South Cumbria are you (I'm in Kendal)?

I've fitted a fair few ACG filter pre's with a variety of pickups including active EMGs. They thrive with all in my experience. Sadly I haven't got one at the moment. I say at the moment because I need to start saving for my next ACG methinks :D

The pre-amp are really easy to fit too, typically John East, well thought out with good instructions.

Peter

I was speaking to John East about the preamps in ACGs, and although I can't comment on the ACG specific preamp, the two East systems I've got work well with both MEC and EMGx pickups, and they worked well with whatever was on the Jazz and P I tried, along with the ACG I looked at. So I can't imagine there being much issue :)

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1331072136' post='1567351']
Hiya Sam? Where in South Cumbria are you (I'm in Kendal)?

I've fitted a fair few ACG filter pre's with a variety of pickups including active EMGs. They thrive with all in my experience. Sadly I haven't got one at the moment. I say at the moment because I need to start saving for my next ACG methinks :D

The pre-amp are really easy to fit too, typically John East, well thought out with good instructions.

Peter
[/quote]

Hey random questions here....
ACG with active pups, what does it do to the sound of them compared to passive pups?
Reason being... my warwick has barts at the moment, that sound brilliant. The MEC that were in it sounded good but had something going on at the high end (that 'active pup' sound) i didn't like. If I stuck the active pups through a ACG does the filter take that 'active pup' sound away?
Or would it be better with the darker sounding barts? Just thinking that the way the ACG works could compensate for the way the MEC's sound.

I think it's fair to say that the pre amp output will in some way reflect the input signal. As to whether it can remove an aspect of the pup that you don't like I'd say try it with the Barts that are there and if you feel the need need change the pickups later. I've played a few basses with active pickups and while I'm not a particular fan I didn't find the tone a problem. Euro Spectors come to mind where the fitting of the ACG pre gave it a huge well rounded sound with the original pickups.

Such subjective stuff though, tone.

I'm certain that the ACG has a pot to attenuate the input signal too. I'm sure Alan will be along some time to confirm/deny :)

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1331395736' post='1572347']
I think it's fair to say that the pre amp output will in some way reflect the input signal. As to whether it can remove an aspect of the pup that you don't like I'd say try it with the Barts that are there and if you feel the need need change the pickups later. I've played a few basses with active pickups and while I'm not a particular fan I didn't find the tone a problem. Euro Spectors come to mind where the fitting of the ACG pre gave it a huge well rounded sound with the original pickups.

Such subjective stuff though, tone.

I'm certain that the ACG has a pot to attenuate the input signal too. I'm sure Alan will be along some time to confirm/deny :)

Peter
[/quote]

Yeah, pretty sure it does, I know on his website he talks about being able to balance two different input pups.

Just a thought really. so I have two sets of pups, that broadly sound a bit like these two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSOPdBkXilU
The MEC (or EMG in this case but sound very very similar imo) has less of a low 'bump' than the barts. Now add a low pass filter... and part of my brian thinks that it would make sense to have less of a bump in the output, in order that filtering out the mids has more of a effect on shaping the tone?

actually maybe i should just email alan all my questions. It was just a thought that for how the pre worked that the MEC may work pretty well... which means the barts can be sold... and I'm closer to being able to afford the preamp! :)