Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot AH1000 cab connection question/therory

Bobo_Grimmer

Hey, I'm off work ill this week and have been spending my time thinking about bass amps :D
Hopefully my question is worth while and not pain killer induced... :blink:
I've used the AH1000, an old one not the new weird looking ones ;) , for several years now and love the sound i get from the BFC and a trace 8x10, not at the same time ofc, but was wondering if i could connect several smaller cabs to it at the same time if i wanted to.

Now from what I've read in the manual there's not really any mention of connecting cabs to all the outputs on the back of the amplifier at the same time or of their total minimum load. It does say on the back of the amplifier in two places about a 4ohm minimum though...

[quote]The speaker outputs are provided on both jack and XLR sockets for the Full Range Stereo
500 Watt Left and Right outputs, and jack only for the High Pass Right stereo Bi-Amp output.
The Mode switch and Speaker Outputs are clearly marked as to their operation in the three
output modes of the amplifier.
There is a further speaker output provided with the SPEAKON connector on the extreme right
side of the amplifier. This is for use only with the special Stereo Bi-Amp cabinet ( called the BFC )
that has been designed to operate exclusively with the AH1000 to provide a full stereo bi-amp
speaker configuration in one cabinet with the only interconnection required being this one
SPEAKON socket.
This special cabinet can operate in FULL RANGE MONO, or FULL RANGE STEREO, in BIAMP
MONO or BI-AMP STEREO merely by using the OUTPUT MODE switches on the AH1000.This has reduced what used to be a nightmare of interconnections using external power
amplifiers and probably four cabinets to a single amplifier head ( the AH1000 ) with a single
connection ( 1 x SPEAKON ) to a single cabinet ( the BFC ).[/quote]

now i understand that the BFC is three cabs in one. 2x 2x10 and 1x 1x15 all of which are 4ohms. That's all taken care of by the speakon connection for the bi-amp BFC ect ect.

When ever i use the 8x10, which is 4ohms, i plug it in with a jack to jack speaker lead to the low pass 500W with an output mode of full range stereo. This works fine an was my normal set-up till i found the BFC.

Both sound lovely and have typical trace awesomeness. :gas:

I understand that with it's extensive crossover section i could use separate power amps to extend the rig further but I'm only interested in the main out puts of the amplifier for this question. :)

One other thing is that this amp is technically three amps. A 500W, for the lows, and 2 250W amps for the left and the right.

The question remains is that can you plug three 4ohm cab's into the three separate jack outputs on the rear of the amplifier or do you think it's a definitive 4ohm minimum for the total of the output stage?

personally i wouldnt go lower than what the amp says it can handle. you could potentially run 2 x 8 ohm cabs on both sides if im right. Or 1 x 4 ohm in the low pass and 2 x 8ohm in the high pass or the other way round. I would just run 2 x 4 ohm 8x10 cabs in full range stereo, that would kick ass.

forgive me if im wrong.

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1331051013' post='1566885']
personally i wouldnt go lower than what the amp says it can handle. you could potentially run 2 x 8 ohm cabs on both sides if im right. Or 1 x 4 ohm in the low pass and 2 x 8ohm in the high pass or the other way round. I would just run 2 x 4 ohm 8x10 cabs in full range stereo, that would kick ass.

forgive me if im wrong.
[/quote]
No, you're absolutely bob-on, 2 8x10 cabs would definitely kick ass. :D

[quote name='Bobo_Grimmer' timestamp='1331052239' post='1566902']
2 8x10! wow that's a good idea lol :D

thank's obbm that's exactly what i was thinking i just wasn't to sure.
[/quote]

You'll need to put the Output Mode switches into Biamp and Stereo which should give you 500-watts Low Pass and 2 x 250-watts High-pass.