Why become a member? ×

New player - obsessed with fat strings

David Scholefield

Just saying hello...

After mucking about with various instruments for years (mostly highly-strung orchestral instruments!) I've finally found out how amazing bass playing is. I'm taking lessons every week, and my Warwick Thumb is sitting in the corner constantly inviting me to play...

I'm interested... how much time do people on here play their bass each day/week? How do you spend your playing time? How much time do you spend practice vs. playing?

Hello there, welcome aboard!

I play every day even if it`s just a 10min knockout. I usually play along with the music on the computer either learning a song that I`m gonna play or just working something out for the heck of it. I have joined a new band and we are "gettin it together in the studio" as they say, so I`m learning a new set at the mo, so plenty to keep me busy.

It`s good that you are taking lessons and a Thumb is a good starter instrument ;)

Jez

Hi Jezzaboy
I play every day as well - somehow I find it impossible to walk past the bass and not pick it up and just play a little. Sometimes just praticing rhythms, and sometimes songs I'm working on. Sometimes just play with the many controls on the amp to work out what they do! :)

I've always wanted a Thumb, it's a beautiful thing, and it's been calling for a long time! I'm very lucky :)

Hi David,
Welcome.
I play pretty much every day too. Making sure there's an instrument out and easy to pick up is key to this I think. I do a few minutes before I leave for work in the morning. If I had to get a bass out of a case to do that I don't reckon I'd bother.
I usually have at least one 'performance' a week to prepare for (church band plus a couple of other outfits), so I always set-lists of songs to learn and practise. Because of that I don't spend as much time on theory and technique as I'd like.
But on the other hand, personally, I don't think I'd play much bass if I wasn't playing live with it. I'd probably go back to g*****r or play more banjo.

Len