Why become a member? ×

How do you make your neck smooth?

apa

Ive really been enjoying my Stagg EUB but theres one anoying problem with it!! The painted back of the neck is very very sticky. Its making it very hard work to change position. Its not dirty and nor am I (well I am but thats another story!) The neck started out as a satin finish and was sticky. I thought it would get better but now that its polished its even worse. Is there a spray? Do I sand it back? do I spray paint it? Do I get the vasaline out?

Help?

cheers

A

Edited by apa

I'm no expert on EUB but researched a lot into violin neck finish and applied that to electric bass
Bare wood feels the best once finely sanded to at least 600 grit but preferably higher but bare wood takes on moisture (and dirt) the mositure isnt good for the wood
Once sanded back apply a spirit based sanding sealer with a rag, 3-4 coats a few hours apart and leave a day to dry - it drys quick. rub VERY lighly with 1200grit just to take off any high spots and there you have it, the shellac brings out the gain and seals the wood. It feels 95% as good as bare wood but 100% better than gloss finish. Cheap (£15?) quick and easy.

Dave

Guest Jecklin

If you don't fancy sanding and sealing (admitedly the better option), you can get some talcum powder on a cloth a lightly rub down the back of the neck with it. It will gardually absorb grease and moisture so cleaning and re-rubbing with the talced cloth everday is a good routine to get into.