Why become a member? ×

Flying with a double bass

Pkomor

Guest Jecklin

Never had the need to fly so I could only spout 3rd hand anecdotes about destroyed basses in the hold etc.
( Chris Kelly on here is well travelled in bass terms I believe)

However you might want to watch your bass going from the climate in blighty to the higher humidity in cuba.
it could end up being a sudden change that the bass will not like.
If it's a plywood bass you'll be less at risk, but it might be worth chatting with a luthier about taking a slightly smaller sound post.

Sounds like a great adventure anyway!

I hate to say this but I just wouldn't anymore. Since 9/11 it has been hellish. I have probably made 30+ flights with a stevenson case and even before the added security it was a living hell. Plus you are talking anything up to £500 in excess baggage (I'd be surprised if you could get it in at less that 40Kg in a flight case)
Best of luck if you try. Personally I would hire a bass in the destination country.

I recommend you read "in search of La Bomba" by Richard Neill. He went to Cuba to learn bass in 2001 and wrote about his time there.
I'd also suggest you rent or buy a bass there but take some packs of your favourite strings with you. Neill says that Cuban strings were rare & hard to play.

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1330506442' post='1558368']
Watch [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQIKqQK2orw"]this[/url]

It may or not help but it makes me smile :)
[/quote]

Oh wonderful. Didn't know about this guy. :D

Impossible to sing and play the bass. lol

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AfPa1_vOzg&feature=related[/media]

Oops, hijack Sorry. :)

Edited by fatback

The actual flying bit is not too difficult as long as you have a flight case and the bass is prebooked. I have found airline staff very helpful and it's strange to see the bass going through the x-ray machine. I put my G-K through and it looked just like any other strange electronic device with the curly wires and all that! The difficulty comes when you get to the other end; try to get a flight case on a taxi or even a coach when you get an arsey driver.

• 2 weeks later...