Why become a member? ×

Simple Minds - 24 Feb - a night to remember

RichF

Tonight's a sentimental night. Exactly 28 years ago tonight i saw Simple Minds play the Edinburgh Playhouse. This is how I remember it (although this is from a different tour) with the siennaburst precision with covers doing it's thing!!

[media]http://youtu.be/VzNNl9D5z-c[/media]

All hail the great and mighty Derek Forbes!

Of course, the Minds are back, touring, now with Ged Grimes (Danny Wilson) replaying their superb tracks from 1979-84. All credit to Ged but he aint no Derek.

[media]http://youtu.be/3EyWq1fsI4M[/media]

Edited by RichF

Probably my favourite band and certainly my favourite bass player. Seen them play about 10 times, always excellent and saw them last year on their greatest hits forest tour where they played about 3 or 4 songs from every album. I really wish I was going on this tour but for some reason I kind of never bothered. I really should had as New Gold Dream is my favourite album (as well as Street Fighting Years) and would love to hear King Is White and Hunter and The Hunted.

[quote name='Linus27' timestamp='1330125085' post='1553248']
...as well as Street Fighting Years...
[/quote]

Wow, that album is towards the top of my top one! ;-)

Such a part of my youth. For me, one of the few albums that work from the first note to the last. Being able to zone out and put that on headphones has brought me through some difficult times in my life.

Think I need another listen over the weekend :-)

T

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1330127842' post='1553281']
Wow, that album is towards the top of my top one! ;-)

Such a part of my youth. For me, one of the few albums that work from the first note to the last. Being able to zone out and put that on headphones has brought me through some difficult times in my life.

Think I need another listen over the weekend :-)

T
[/quote]

Yep, I feel the same way. I adore the song Street Fighting Years as well as Mandela Day. The whole album as you say from start to finish is just perfect.

I managed to get 'Silver Box' for £4.49 on iTunes last month. I bought it as it includes their 'lost' album 'Our Secrets Are The Same' and that got me listening to a number of their albums again,Street Fighting Years being one of them. I forgot what a solid body of work it is and like has been said, works from first to last song.