Why become a member? ×

How to darken clear coat on head stock

luckman67

I have just had some work done on my MIJ / MIM Fender Precision, & one of the jobs was having a 70's logo put on. My friend who did the work for me had to sand the headstock due to a shadow of the previous logo that was still visible. The new logo was put on & clearcoated but now, the face of the headstock is a bit lighter than the back & sides of the MIM neck. Is there any way of darkening the face of the headstock without sanding it & tinting it again, i.e sunlight, sunbed ,etc.

I will post pictures this weekend so you will see what I mean, the idea behind it was because the MIJ body was battered I came up with the thought of turning it into an early 1970's Precision Bass, and bought the logo, CTS pots & orange cap,cloth wire, & jack socket and an F logo neck plate.

Thanks in advance

Edited by luckman67

Direct sunlight will do the trick but it may take one or two decent British summers to get there. If you want it now then get your mate to refinish it with a tinted lacquer. If you don't get tinted in the type that he used then a few more coats of the same (unless it is extremely pure) should deepen the tone slightly.
Or just leave it. Who's going to notice when you are on stage anyway? :D

Edited by Ou7shined

[quote name='luckman67' timestamp='1330073616' post='1552182']
I have just had some work done on my MIJ / MIM Fender Precision, & one of the jobs was having a 70's logo put on. My friend who did the work for me had to sand the headstock due to a shadow of the previous logo that was still visible. The new logo was put on & clearcoated but now, the face of the headstock is a bit lighter than the back & sides of the MIM neck. Is there any way of darkening the face of the headstock without sanding it & tinting it again, i.e sunlight, sunbed ,etc.
[/quote]

A UV lamp directed at the headstock face should theoretically do the trick. No idea how long it would take.

[quote name='luckman67' timestamp='1330111777' post='1553027']
How would I go about with using teabags or brown shoe polish, when neither will stick to the clear lacquer on the head stock. I have both items here at home and would love to try them out.
[/quote]

Strings and preferably hardware off the neck
Make a cup of tea, keep the tea bag.
Squeeze most of the water out of it, rub it carefully over the headstock to get good coverage
Make another cup of tea, keep the teabag, stand back and assess the results
Repeat if necessary.

I've never tried it, and you may find the effect wears off after a while leaving the bits of the headstock that come into contact things (like your bass case) becoming paler than the rest. A real vintage instrument usually ends up with these bits darker.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1330173133' post='1553688']
Strings and preferably hardware off the neck
Make a cup of tea, keep the tea bag.
Squeeze most of the water out of it, rub it carefully over the headstock to get good coverage
Make another cup of tea, keep the teabag, stand back and assess the results
Repeat if necessary.

I've never tried it, and you may find the effect wears off after a while leaving the bits of the headstock that come into contact things (like your bass case) becoming paler than the rest. A real vintage instrument usually ends up with these bits darker.
[/quote]

This, but go over the headstock very lightly first with some fine wire wool. That dulls the gloss coat and will give something for the tea to "take" to.

It can work, but its very hit and miss. But if nothing else its an excuse for a cuppa!

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1330177961' post='1553750']
This, but go over the headstock very lightly first with some fine wire wool. That dulls the gloss coat and will give something for the tea to "take" to.

It can work, but its very hit and miss. But if nothing else its an excuse for a cuppa!
[/quote]

Would the same be true if you used brown shoe polish?

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1330177961' post='1553750']

[/quote]

Might need to go extra careful with the wire wool in case the new finish isn't completely hardened yet.