Why become a member? ×

Wal Custom compared with Wal Pro 2e

Sercet

Hmmmm ... not sure how I'd describe the difference in sound, using words!

The Pro 2e is a more [i]normal [/i]bass IMHO. It plays very nicely, it sounds very good, it has "that Wal tone", but it doesn't constantly remind you that it's different.

The Custom, with its filter-based controls, just stops you in your tracks initially. Once you've worked out what the four knobs do, and - more importantly - how they interact, you find an astonishing range of sounds (all of them useable) which can be accessed and altered mid-song.

If that's your thing, of course.

Messing around last night, I played [i]Don't Worry Be Happy [/i]followed by [i]Louise [/i](Human League). A quick twirl of a couple of knobs, and I went from dub-reggae to 80's synth-bass with no effort and no problem.

If you're looking for an easy analogy, think of a lifelong Precision player who finally gets his hands on a Jazz. (Note that I actually prefer Precisions over Jazzes hands down, and it wouldn't have been much of a surprise had I preferred Pro 2e's over Customs.)

I haven't owned [i][b]lots [/b][/i]of Wals of course. I x Pro 2e and 2 x Customs (a fretless 4 and a fretted 5), but I'd say that the Customs just ooze quality, are some of the most playable basses I've ever tried, and offer the widest range of tones/sounds I've ever come across.