Why become a member? ×

Buzz with fuzz

Paul S

I am having problems with buzzing when I switch on a fuzz effect.

Pedals I use are:

guitar > Korg Pitchblack tuner > Boss LS-2 with a clean loop and a loop that has EBS Unichorus > Fuzz.

So nothing complicated.

First fuzz I used was EHX Big Muff - switched it on and it buzzed and shrieked. I though the problem was the pedal so I sold it. New owner reports everything is fine.

Now have a Bozz ODB-3. Still buzzed and shrieked.

Changed from a cheap power supply to a Johnny Shredfreak one that arrived this morning. No shriek, but still buzzes although not as badly.

It varies from bass to bass, which I think seems to indicate grounding issues with the various basses as much as the effects! Also worth mentioning perhaps that I have an old Zoom BFX-708 multi-effect that is as clean as a whistle when I have the fuzz on it.

If I turn down the gain, keep the eq on the ODB-3 reasonably flat and roll off the treble on the bass eq it is reduced. But still there.

Do I accept this as life with a fuzz or should I be able to get shot of it completely?

ta!

Does the buzz start when you let go your strings and stop when you touch them? That would indicate a grounding issue. Check your cables too and try your setup with one pedal at a time to eliminate the cause. It could also just be that both these pedals amplify noise and feedback like a mofo and you weren't expecting the expected behaviour!

Had a rehearseal last night and was able to have a minor fiddle that was inconclusive. I have EBS Unichorus on the same loop as the ODB-3 and there is no buzz at all when that is selected on its own, so I guess the loop is fine. I used the ODB-3 on its own and it still buzzed a bit so it is looking like I need to check the grounding on the bass - at least the one I used last night. Which is annoying as I shielded all the cavities, soldered extra earth leads to it and all sorts! But I guess I still need to try each pedal with a few different basses to see what happens, if anything.

Thanks - given me food for thought and an idea of what to look out for now.

Paul