Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Cleaning my Stingray Bass

BH12neil

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]What products would you recommend for cleaning my stingray, there seems to be so much confusion over what is the best way forward I thought I would ask here.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]By way of background my stingray has a high gloss polyester black finish on the body, a maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]So what do you think then guys and girls, all help really appreciated.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]BH12neil[/font][/color]

Lemon oil on the fret board. let it soak in and then wipe off the excess.

Good quality guitar polish/wax for the body. If it's very grubby and with scratches, then t cut or similar. Polyester is a tough finish and i've used t cut to good effect, followed by a good polish.

.Light coating of a fine oil on the bridge and saddle screws etc.

[quote name='BH12neil' timestamp='1329261199' post='1539898']
What would I use on the neck of the guitar?

BH12neil
[/quote]

FAQ from EBMM below. You can get Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil and Gunstock Wax on ebay.

[b]How do I maintain the neck on my new Music Man bass? [/b]
For everyday cleaning, use a small dose of high-grade lemon oil. For the fretboard, use Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes Fretboard Conditioner. If the neck is very dirty, give us a call or email us at [email protected]

An infrequent dose of gunstock oil will help to keep the neck maintained; we recommend and use Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil, but any good quality gunstock oil will work. Clean neck first. Use a small amount of Tru-oil, leave it on for 5 minutes, then wipe it off with a paper towel. Then apply Birchwood-Casey Gunstock Wax. Be sure to douse the paper towel with water before disposing of it! Read the wax and oil manufacturer's instructions regarding disposal of these used paper towels.

Rosewood fingerboards should not be treated with gunstock oil; instead they should be treated with a high grade of lemon oil.

For cleaning, try using the same high grade of lemon oil to clean the entire neck, both maple and rosewood fretboards. Keep in mind that if the dirt or grease has been worked into the wood, it cannot be removed except by sanding it down, which we do not recommend unless exercised with extremely fine sandpaper (1200-1600 grit), and even then very sparingly. It is better to keep it clean in the first place. Washing your hands first helps!

Some discoloration after many hours of playing is normal on unfinished necks.

Be sure to follow all of the manufacturers recommended safety precautions when using any of these oils or waxes.

Edited by ikay

GustOo, thank you very much for your explanation :)
Another secret oil for cleaning, reviving colours and 'wellness' is Viol.
Neck as well as body.
http://www.ebay.de/itm/VIOL-Pflege-Reinigung-Preserve-Clean-Poliermittel-/400173827150?pt=Allgemeines_Musikinstrumente_Zubehör&hash=item5d2c38044e#ht_1208wt_922

http://www.thomann.de/de/gewa_viol_violinenoel_464800.htm

Edited by 73Jazz