Why become a member? ×

NBD 12 string sonic assault.

warwickhunt

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Just taken delivery of [color=#000000][left]my new/used Galveston 12 string and despite rusty strings I'm chugging through these Cheap Trick songs like a good un... along with the obligatory 'Jeremy'![/left][/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000][left]Took 15 minutes to get the action down from the Double Bass height that it was, to something closer to my usual and though intonation as all over the place, I'm not going to spend a lot of time on that aspect as these old strings will be going and then I'll do a full set-up. [/left][/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000][left]Obviously it requires a lot of adaptation of technique; aside from the muckle wide neck and neck dive, you need to get a bit more of the meat of your finger 'over' the bass string to depress the pairs of octave strings and (luckily) you'll never be attempting slap attack![/left][/color]

[color=#000000][left]The upside is that you go back to the four after this and it's like a toy. [/left][/color][/font][/size][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000][/color][/font][size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][color=#000000][left] :D[/left][/color][/font][/size]

Fretting the note requires you to place the finger slightly more over the string so that your tips also fret the octave strings but it isn't 'that' different from normal, though I have to confess that trying to do a one finger one fret chromatic walk up the neck requires a bit more pressure than normal! :blink: :D

Tuning isn't so bad you just need to tune the first string (say the E's) sharp, then the A strings less sharp then the D less so and by the time you get to the G strings the others are virtually pulled into tune; a quick tweak and job done!