Why become a member? ×

Stagg in da house!

OldGit

[quote name='Rainbass' post='200865' date='May 17 2008, 07:29 AM']Hi Maxcat

where do you jam in Ash? I used to play at the Lion Brewery. I'd love to come and see the Stagg in action. I have one too, but at the moment it doesn't get to leave the house! (other than for lessons)

cheers[/quote]
Hi Rainbass. It is indeed the Lion Brewery every Thursday night. We host every 5th week and our next one is 5th June. I dont tend to bring the Stagg to the jams unless we are hosting cos it probably wont get used. Saying that we could defo sort something out in advance if you fancy a tinkle. The first proper outing for the beast is next Saturday 24th at the Crown and Cushion Haslemere with my band Six Miles Away if youre around. Look forward to meeting you.

[quote name='Maxcat' post='200905' date='May 17 2008, 09:54 AM']Hi Rainbass. It is indeed the Lion Brewery every Thursday night. We host every 5th week and our next one is 5th June. I dont tend to bring the Stagg to the jams unless we are hosting cos it probably wont get used. Saying that we could defo sort something out in advance if you fancy a tinkle. The first proper outing for the beast is next Saturday 24th at the Crown and Cushion Haslemere with my band Six Miles Away if youre around. Look forward to meeting you.[/quote]

Bugger. If I wasn't in Kent that weekend, I would come down and see you play. I might try and make the Lion Brewery on the 5th if you have the Stagg with you.

[quote name='Linus27' post='200921' date='May 17 2008, 10:32 AM']Bugger. If I wasn't in Kent that weekend, I would come down and see you play. I might try and make the Lion Brewery on the 5th if you have the Stagg with you.[/quote]
I have a daytime gig on the 5th and Ash is on my way home..
Might pop in. What do you play? (music wise)

[quote name='paul, the' post='200876' date='May 17 2008, 08:55 AM']Great to hear that you're getting on with your bass, Simon. Although, I do worry that you might be getting a bit too friendly, as judging by your last post you're obviously on ecstasy.

---

I'm going to email Zings again. It's nearing that time of the month.[/quote]

Ecstasy? Nah mate Just having fun.
Our band is a tad different as we play more or less anything during an evening, some planned things for set dances - eg we morph Cock of the North into Paint in Black during a dance (it's a barn dance band) and some as a result of witty heckling .. Stairway and Smoke are regular requests from punters who think people playing mostly folk type stuff never listen to anything else ... Doh!
We also play the unannounced "spot the bass line" game where I'll drop in a few bars of something like peaches, Walk in the wild side, the chain, money etc and the ones sober enough to catch on then start yelling things out .. :)
So if I have the Stagg in my hand I'll play them on that ... However Rolf Harris' version of smoke on the water is a possible for the DB treatment ... and of course there's his stairway too ...
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy5KjaAS7nY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy5KjaAS7nY[/url]

Voodoo Chile may be a tad more challenging and the Stagg through my effects chain will be interesting too .. Not sure I can stand up, hold the upright bass upright and do the wah wah at the same time :huh:

We will see

[quote name='BeLow' post='200942' date='May 17 2008, 11:04 AM']Some great progress on the playing front from the sound of it.

I am going to do some work on the nut of my bass to improve the action I just want to get a feeler gauges first, in the past I have always just used, ...er .... feel ut want to do it properly this time.

Just a quick question the dot markers on my neck seem to be a bit er.... random I think they are mostly OK but the 7th 'fret' marker (326 mm from nut) seems to be where I thought the 6th fret might be. I am used to playing fretless so I am not too phased by the lack of frets but this seems to be just 'wrong' anyone or is there something I am just not getting else got this issue.

If it is wrong any ideas on 'moving it'?[/quote]

Not sure about the wrong place but I've got some stick-on [url="http://fretlord.com/glowdotz.htm"]GlowDotz[/url] from another project. I'm putting a few on the off side of the fret-,er, finger-bord so I can find the E and octave on the G string when I'm mwaaaah-ing up the top ..
You are welcome to a couple. PM me your address. They don't glow all the time. They just look like large white side-marker dots. They are a bit raised but nothing drastic. I hardly notice the feel of them on the EBG I've got them on.

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='Maxcat' post='200905' date='May 17 2008, 09:54 AM']Hi Rainbass. It is indeed the Lion Brewery every Thursday night. We host every 5th week and our next one is 5th June. I dont tend to bring the Stagg to the jams unless we are hosting cos it probably wont get used. Saying that we could defo sort something out in advance if you fancy a tinkle. The first proper outing for the beast is next Saturday 24th at the Crown and Cushion Haslemere with my band Six Miles Away if youre around. Look forward to meeting you.[/quote]

I will definately try and make it for the 5th June at the Lion, - your set sounds like loads of fun!

[quote name='jakesbass' post='200939' date='May 17 2008, 10:56 AM']I have a daytime gig on the 5th and Ash is on my way home..
Might pop in. What do you play? (music wise)[/quote]

We play a majority of covers with some originals thrown in. A lot of our stuff is unusual to say the least Anything from Velvet underground to L Wainright, Primal Scream to Gloria Gaynor and anything in between.The 5th will be us as house band so we will do a 20 ish minute run from 8.30 then get the jam going and end up with 3 or 4. Would be great to meet you gents. Ill definately bring the Stagg if you promise to be gentle with me. :) Hope to see you there.

[quote name='BeLow' post='200968' date='May 17 2008, 11:52 AM']Thanks OG a very kind offer I may just invest myself but will come back to you on that. Are you going to re-cut the nut by feel or set to a specific height?

I was thinking about the glow in the dark jobs as the memory of playing fretless on a dark stage has faded a lot but not enough to forget the blind panic of not knowing what the heck you are playing.

Intonation of the upper strings has always been a challenge for me at the dusty end - it is surprising how much harder an unmarked 5 string fretless is to play than an umarked 4, something to do with the acres of featureless black fretboard! I have no idea how anyone can contemplate a 6 string fretless.

The position of the 7th fret marker looks wrong but also my ear also tells me that the intonation is a bit flat at the 7th fret (my ear is not that good for these things). I am sure I shoudl be able to work this out from first principles but I think my brain might implode![/quote]

I've been playing with my chromatic tuner in the line to check my ear and positioning. That helps.

Gig was fab .. Only played the Stag for three tunes - two folky tunes and These boots as an encore ....
Again the reaction from people was notable and the band have now christened it the totty magnet as it does seem to have that effect ... They're also claiming I'm compensating for something as well as it's very long ..... Fortunately as a bass player I'm too stupid to understand that ...

However a little warning .. I managed to pull the lead out by standing on it so I have to address that problem, preferably by being able to switch my wireless over ...

I have an AB input switch so I just piped it through all my effects and stuff that I normally use for the EBG ... Voodoo Chile intro with fuzz and wah wah came out rather well and, of course, scored very high on the incongruity meter - "folk" band, on bass and on an upright bass at that.. .. :) I like that in a tune ..

I didn't risk playing an entire set dance on the Stagg as that can go on for a long time and I'm not sure the muscles are up to it yet :huh: but a very successful start.

OG

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='201492' date='May 18 2008, 01:13 PM']I've been playing with my chromatic tuner in the line to check my ear and positioning. That helps.

Gig was fab .. Only played the Stag for three tunes - two folky tunes and These boots as an encore ....
Again the reaction from people was notable and the band have now christened it the totty magnet as it does seem to have that effect ... They're also claiming I'm compensating for something as well as it's very long ..... Fortunately as a bass player I'm too stupid to understand that ...

However a little warning .. I managed to pull the lead out by standing on it so I have to address that problem, preferably by being able to switch my wireless over ...

I have an AB input switch so I just piped it through all my effects and stuff that I normally use for the EBG ... Voodoo Chile intro with fuzz and wah wah came out rather well and, of course, scored very high on the incongruity meter - "folk" band, on bass and on an upright bass at that.. .. :) I like that in a tune ..

I didn't risk playing an entire set dance on the Stagg as that can go on for a long time and I'm not sure the muscles are up to it yet :huh: but a very successful start.

OG[/quote]

Congrats mate. Im thinking of a similar set up with a Bassbone to do the switching and the seperate EQ on the Stagg. Untill then, Im going to use an EQ pedal in the chain. and just change the lead over. Do you leave it plugged in and if so is the battery good enough to last?

[quote name='Maxcat' post='201504' date='May 18 2008, 01:33 PM']Congrats mate. Im thinking of a similar set up with a Bassbone to do the switching and the seperate EQ on the Stagg. Untill then, Im going to use an EQ pedal in the chain. and just change the lead over. Do you leave it plugged in and if so is the battery good enough to last?[/quote]

I pull the lead out each time just in case :)

[quote name='Maxcat' post='201675' date='May 18 2008, 07:18 PM']Yeah figures. Cant think of a way round that at the mo.[/quote]

I guess the drain may be no more than an active bass guitar but that blue light just makes it look like its munching through the power :) ...

The problem with fret markers on a upright is, how accurate they are is dependent on your height due to the angle of incidence.
I know the chaps who make these things are trying to be helpful but as a double bass player I have never had need for them and in truth I think they can be a minor distraction.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='201697' date='May 18 2008, 07:35 PM']The problem with fret markers on a upright is, how accurate they are is dependent on your height due to the angle of incidence.
I know the chaps who make these things are trying to be helpful but as a double bass player I have never had need for them and in truth I think they can be a minor distraction.[/quote]

I know what you mean but for us numpties they are a good general indicator of the kind of general area where we may find, say, a high E on the G string to start a tune off ...
That's the main thing for me.

[quote name='Maxcat' post='201714' date='May 18 2008, 07:49 PM']Sounds like the start to Boots :) . My heart does a little skip when its time to play that run at the start solo.[/quote]

I found it helped to have my drummer tap the beat on the Hi Hat. Then it kind of holds together even if I have problems sliding up the neck at the right speed :huh: ... and he then comes in on time for the next bit :huh:

[quote name='jakesbass' post='204049' date='May 22 2008, 08:15 AM']I can see you have the hat wearing off to a tee OG surely it's plain sailing from there. :)[/quote]

Yeah I've had a few lessons on hats and watched this guy on Youtube so I think I've got the technique almost right

Edited by OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='203989' date='May 21 2008, 11:49 PM']First outing ... new EUB, new cabs, new hat ... what a steep learning curve:)

[/quote]

Now that is what the Stagg was made for. I bow to your coolness OG. :) Oh and large respect for the hat.

[quote name='Maxcat' post='204695' date='May 23 2008, 12:28 AM']Now that is what the Stagg was made for. I bow to your coolness OG. :huh: Oh and large respect for the hat.[/quote]

I raise my hat to you sir.

It's a 2008 Homburg.

Not as good as a traditional Trilby:

on stage as the Homburg's curled up sides don't reflect the sound into your ears as the Trilby does and the front doesn't do as well at keeping the stage lights out of your eyes ..
Different though :)

Traditional funk bass hat is the Marcus Miller Pork Pie. Here's the Whitely one - very nice quality UK made hat

Upright is possibly more JazzHat territory

That's me saxing in my Traditional Trilby

(not the skinny brim Pete Doherty / Top Man / Matalan style thing the kid wear )

I'd suggest one of those ..

The sound really does change when you wear a hat with a brim :)

I think a jazz hat is the way to go. I've not got a hat friendly head though.

Also, does the material the hat is made of affect your tone in any way? If I buy say, a felt fodera, would I also need to boost my upper mids to compensate?

[quote name='TheRev' post='204962' date='May 23 2008, 01:51 PM']I think a jazz hat is the way to go. I've not got a hat friendly head though.

Also, does the material the hat is made of affect your tone in any way? If I buy say, a felt fodera, would I also need to boost my upper mids to compensate?[/quote]

I always do :) A bit more on the 2k does the trick. Less monitor though.

I got my black Porkpie and the Homborg from an ebay shop. US based but cheap and good service.
they are not soft hats - kind of like cardboard at first, but they mellow with abuse and cost a lot less than the posh hats

Start here and dig back through thie stock.
ebay item number: 120263863785

they do Blue bowlers too :huh:

My posh hats come from here
[url="http://www.whiteley-hat.co.uk/frameset.asp"]http://www.whiteley-hat.co.uk/frameset.asp[/url]

Edited by OldGit