Why become a member? ×

Stagg in da house!

OldGit

You know I really want to join in the hat parade. I have been known in the past to stand under bandanas (biker days), stetsons open air gig times (Ala Glover) Blues Bros stylee Fedora? :huh: have been known to host carribean nights in my Rasta hat and wig and proudly support London Irish Rugby in a green wig and Top Hat. However I have been informed on numerous occasions that since I passed the mid point of my earthly tenure, when I wear a suit /hat, I look like a man with a head transplant. :) Oh well. I will have to worship the hat from afar.Stagg on brave behatted ones.

[quote name='Maxcat' post='205045' date='May 23 2008, 03:37 PM']You know I really want to join in the hat parade. I have been known in the past to stand under bandanas (biker days), stetsons open air gig times (Ala Glover) Blues Bros stylee Fedora? :huh: have been known to host carribean nights in my Rasta hat and wig and proudly support London Irish Rugby in a green wig and Top Hat. However I have been informed on numerous occasions that since I passed the mid point of my earthly tenure, when I wear a suit /hat, I look like a man with a head transplant. :) Oh well. I will have to worship the hat from afar.Stagg on brave behatted ones.[/quote]

If you want to get a head, get a hat ...

Never did understand that :huh:

Tired of always being in the background? Feel you have more to offer? Want to interface with YOUR public at a more intimate level but cant get past the guitarist and the singer? Look no further than this user friendly clip on stage presence enhancer. Designed ergonomically for that vintage feel, the Fragile Ego Illuminator ™ will project you to the front of any band mix. Select the Illuminator™ at the start of the show or use the optional footswitch to make a surprise appearance. . Imagine the surprise on your lead singers face when you "Illuminate" during his falsetto moment. Go on. You know it makes sense!!See Link tongue.gif [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=8992"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=Attach...ost&id=8992[/url] So the Stagg made its debut at the Crown and Cushion last night. Went down a treat. Couple of pics of the beast in action.[attachment=8994:DSC04846.JPG][attachment=[attachment=8993:DSC04841.JPG]8994:DSC04846.JPG]

• 1 month later...

[quote name='andyefk' post='239992' date='Jul 15 2008, 01:22 PM']First outing of the Stagg went really well - just stuck to two tracks, but they went down really well, sounded awesome through the markbass head too...

Andy[/quote]

Just wondered ... for research, like ... did a bunch of women in the audience tell you how much they liked the stand up bass?

[quote name='OldGit' post='240050' date='Jul 15 2008, 02:12 PM']Just wondered ... for research, like ... did a bunch of women in the audience tell you how much they liked the stand up bass?[/quote]

Steady OG Steady :huh: Was that a Stand Up or a Stand Up Bass? :)

[quote name='Maxcat' post='240053' date='Jul 15 2008, 02:15 PM']Steady OG Steady :huh: Was that a Stand Up or a Stand Up Bass? :huh:[/quote]

Ha ha well it's happened each time I whip mine out. Last week it was a woman in full on sheepskin chaps ... :)
She made a happy man feel very old :huh:

[quote name='OldGit' post='240067' date='Jul 15 2008, 02:31 PM']Ha ha well it's happened each time I whip mine out. Last week it was a woman in full on sheepskin chaps ... :)
She made a happy man feel very old :huh:[/quote]
Yeah I was going to ask you about that. Are we talking Shania Twain Chaps or Gloria Estefan? On reflection it actually doesnt matter. :huh:

[quote name='Maxcat' post='240084' date='Jul 15 2008, 02:39 PM']Yeah I was going to ask you about that. Are we talking Shania Twain Chaps or Gloria Estefan? On reflection it actually doesnt matter. :huh:[/quote]

Errrrrrrr I'm clearly not in your league when it comes to knowing all about chaps :)
According to Cowboy Bobs Dictionary, they were "Woolies". Like this without the dark bits

[quote name='OldGit' post='240088' date='Jul 15 2008, 02:43 PM']Errrrrrrr I'm clearly not in your league when it comes to knowing all about chaps :)
According to Cowboy Bobs Dictionary, they were "Woolies". Like this without the dark bits
[/quote]

Probably dont want to be regarded as an aficionado of Chaps however in this context Im a fan. Were they seen in "The Nam"?

[quote name='Maxcat' post='240092' date='Jul 15 2008, 02:49 PM']Probably dont want to be regarded as an aficionado of Chaps however in this context Im a fan. Were they seen in "The Nam"?[/quote]

Nah down south ... near Bristol Airport ... in a tent full of pink cowboy hats and very realistic replica hand guns, a bucking bull and a well dead pig on a spit .. (rain was expected "hey let's fill the dance floor with gear!")

Fun gig though :)

[quote name='OldGit' post='240102' date='Jul 15 2008, 03:00 PM']Nah down south ... near Bristol Airport ... in a tent full of pink cowboy hats and very realistic replica hand guns, a bucking bull and a well dead pig on a spit .. (rain was expected "hey let's fill the dance floor with gear!")

Fun gig though :)[/quote]

Sounds cool.

Edited by Maxcat

[quote name='OldGit' post='240050' date='Jul 15 2008, 02:12 PM']Just wondered ... for research, like ... did a bunch of women in the audience tell you how much they liked the stand up bass?[/quote]

Yes they did - bizarre that - it went down really well with the fairer sex.

The feedback was generally really good anyway, but the ladies loved it... any idea why? I have a sudden compulsion to play it more frequently :)
Andy

[quote name='andyefk' post='242615' date='Jul 18 2008, 12:29 PM']Yes they did - bizarre that - it went down really well with the fairer sex.

The feedback was generally really good anyway, but the ladies loved it... any idea why? I have a sudden compulsion to play it more frequently :)
Andy[/quote]

No idea, don't care [i]why[/i] :huh:
I'm planning a whole quiet wedding dep gig on it next Friday .. I'll take a EBG too in case of extreme arm fatigue but upright all night is the plan

[quote name='OldGit' post='242633' date='Jul 18 2008, 12:44 PM']No idea, don't care [i]why[/i] :)
I'm planning a whole quiet wedding dep gig on it next Friday .. I'll take a EBG too in case of extreme arm fatigue but upright all night is the plan[/quote]

Have to admit - we only did 30 mins and I was struggling with the arm fatigue - don't envy you the full night - good luck :huh:
Andy

[quote name='andyefk' post='243395' date='Jul 19 2008, 03:37 PM']Have to admit - we only did 30 mins and I was struggling with the arm fatigue - don't envy you the full night - good luck :)
Andy[/quote]

Yeah I'm planning a week's worth of intensive training :huh: at least 3 30 minute slots per day, Lots or powerball work and pasta supper beforehand; Plenty of fluids on the night :huh:

Actually it's a very laid back band and as it's a trad ceilidh there will be plenty of arm rest between each number. They also like me to play root 5th in G a lot so that's easier, open strings etc .. :huh:

Haha - I see a Rocky style training montage in my head :)

My band cannot be described as laid back - it's a different thing trying to get your hands around the neck of the eub and get your fingers around a bunch of fret positions... Good fun though, just a different vibe. And I love the sound of it too. We have little touches of jazz and the EUb sets that off really nicely. Plus, I borrowed a bow and ran it through a distortion pedal, and it sounded just awesome :huh:

Andy

[quote name='Maxcat' post='244961' date='Jul 22 2008, 12:13 AM']Im thinking the Trilby. Just seems more substantial. A hat to plat DB all night.[/quote]

yes..... I like the way the Trilby bounces the sound back into my ears, and that may be handy for this gig, but I'm rather taken by the Homburg at the mo .. Certainly not a Pork Pie gig :)

Wore the Homburg in the end - and a snazzy musical waistcoat as it was just too hot for the full dress suit jackt and this band (it's a dep) tends to turn up in jeans so I didn't want to look too different ... Anyway, gig report here
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtopic=7919&view=findpost&p=248568"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=248568[/url]

Happy for you mate. Sounds like you've got it sussed. Ive added a few more numbers to the repertoire (total 8 out of the set) but wouldn't welcome a full gig on the beast. One of the new ones is the Waterboys Fishermans Blues on the Stagg and the slides are fabtastic Weve been recording the gigs as well and Ive been really impressed with the sound of the Stagg. I think that the sound while not quite acoustic, comes close with a really nice percussive whack. Weve picked up a bargain there. Love the Homburg. Stagg on.