Why become a member? ×

SOLD - Vox 3002 Custom Bass

joeystrange

Hey guys,
I am selling a Vox Custom 3002 Bass with original wooden hard case. I'm looking at £450 for both.

I've had this bass for 11 years and have barely touched it in the last 9 or 10 so I decided it should go to a good home where it will actually get some use. I thought I'd post it on here to see if there was any interest before I put it on the Bay.

I'm not sure of the year of manufacture but as far as I know these were only made between 1982 and 1984 at Aria's Matsumoku factory and, as a consequence, are pretty rare.

Everything on the bass is original apart from the nut. They came with a brass nut but (from what I've read and as was the case with mine) the top edge of the nut had a tendency to wear down over time and the E-string would pop out if you hit it too hard. I had the brass nut changed for a graphite one not long after I got it.

Spec:
34" scale.
24 frets.
Through-neck.
DiMarzio pickups.
Volume and single tone control.
3-way pickup selector.
Mode switch for series/parallel or coil tap.
Deluxe bridge and tailpiece assembly.
String-through body.

From the little info I could find, I found out that Billy Sheehan played one for a short time whilst he was playing with UFO.

Edited by joeystrange

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the new eBay listing with the dropped price: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vox-3002-Custom-Bass-RARE-/130656481970?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1e6bbbb2b2#ht_8129wt_1270"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vox-3002-Custom-Bass-RARE-/130656481970?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1e6bbbb2b2#ht_8129wt_1270[/url]
Though I'd still be interesting in selling privately.

It's strange, I've never seen another of these in person and only ever seen one Standard in the flesh but since deciding to sell I've come across a fair few people that have them both. Maybe it's that old thing where you don't notice something until you're consciously aware of it?

You now have an interest in knowing what a reasonable price is. So it's not too surprising if you've now started to notice them, I'd guess.

But... I'd never heard of the Vox Standard till I bought mine, and literally two weeks later I saw another (in much better nick) on the wall of the practice room we were using. Maybe I'd have clocked it as "another bass guitar" if I hadn't just bought one, but I doubt it.