Why become a member? ×

Gibson Grabber - anything else do that sound?

Gust0o

I know this has likely been done to death...

... but, for context, the band like the Grabber sound; I've been asked to bring it along to rehearsals, gigs and recording. Fine, basses are there to be played; but, we had a small accident the other day and the paintwork took a ding.

I'm a little precious about it. It's a 1976, and I've got it into good shape. I don't want to lose that now. And I've got the kind of personality where I go and punish myself for little things like that.

So, if the sound is right, is there a more economical way of achieving it? Something I wouldn't mind dinging, letting other bands try, spilling beer on; without kicking myself for days afterwards.

Thoughts?

Predominantly I've been playing Jazzes alongside this.

IMO Grabbers and Rippers have a pretty unique tone (closest for me is a Ric). Maybe the solution (funds dependent of course) is to find a second, relatively 'used' Grabber and gig that? It was possible until quite recently to pick Rs and Gs up pretty cheaply but they seem to be regaining popularity, and thus increasing in price. A scour of US ads might be useful?

Far Eastern Grabber copies exist, if you could score a genuine Grabber pickup from somewhere then maybe that's an avenue to explore?

Or you could try to live with the fact that instruments are like any tool, it is possible they might get damaged in use. I own 4 Gibsons and I practice and gig with them all, including my beautifully refinished Victory. There's no doubt that I'll be a bit annoyed when it picks up its first ding, but the music goes on regardless.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1329045063' post='1536333']
Or you could try to live with the fact that instruments are like any tool, it is possible they might get damaged in use. I own 4 Gibsons and I practice and gig with them all, including my beautifully refinished Victory. There's no doubt that I'll be a bit annoyed when it picks up its first ding, but the music goes on regardless.
[/quote]

I would use it regardless. If you don't use it what the point of having it?

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1329045673' post='1536344']
I should add that there's no way in Hell any other bands are getting their mitts on my basses. Not sure why this requirement is stated when you're so careful of your bass and self critical after the potential consequences.
[/quote]

What? You wouldn't let someone have a noodle if they were admiring backstage? A 45 minute set would be a different question, but am happy to let people look - and I'm sure we've seen your Grabber doing the rounds at a bass bash. Same thing, no?

As sod's law would have it, the Gibson shipped a string this afternoon, mid-studio. Topical question, as I had the moment of panic wondering if I'd f***ed it.

You might all be right about just living with it, as I think I knew the answer before I started. Good to hear commentary on the Epis, as gives a route to look down. Thanks chaps.

Edited by Gust0o

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1329082598' post='1537034']
What? You wouldn't let someone have a noodle if they were admiring backstage? A 45 minute set would be a different question, but am happy to let people look - and I'm sure we've seen your Grabber doing the rounds at a bass bash. Same thing, no?

As sod's law would have it, the Gibson shipped a string this afternoon, mid-studio. Topical question, as I had the moment of panic wondering if I'd f***ed it.

You might all be right about just living with it, as I think I knew the answer before I started. Good to hear commentary on the Epis, as gives a route to look down. Thanks chaps.
[/quote]

In my opinion the bass bash is a controlled (read "sober") environment in which bassists (most of whom I know personally or at least on here/Finnbass) get to have a shottie of my basses while I get to have a shottie of theirs whereas at a gig it's a random, possibly intoxicated Tom, Dick, Harry or Harriet asking for a shottie of my bass. Not the same thing at all to me. It's different if I know AND trust them, but otherwise the answer is no.

I suppose that makes me a meanie.