Why become a member? ×

***SOLD***Read Purity Valve Preamp with 4U rack bag

eddiehoffmann

Hey guys!

Here I have for sale my [b]Read Purity Preamp.[/b]

[b]Hand-built in the US[/b] by audiophile Jack Read, this preamp is the shizzle! The eq is so well tailored for bass that is actually [b]impossible to dial any sound that is not usable[/b]. You can also bypass the eq via switch and have the pure sound of your bass with the added warmth of those magic tubes. Unlike most amps I used in the past, even the 'Bright' and 'Deep' switches sound great. The [b]'Emphasis' control [/b]in, my opinion, is the star here. I just followed Krispn's (previous owner) tip and left my eq bypassed and adjusted the 'Empashis' just to cut through. With these controls it's almost like having a two channel preamp. You can have one sound with the eq bypassed and the 'Emphasis' control adjusted to taste and, flicking a switch to engage the eq, a completely different sound. This preamp is a up there with the best high-end gear you see in pro studios.

Here's the story. I got the preamp a couple of months ago here on Basschat from Krispn, used it live a few times with my QSC power amp and my Aguilar GS 212 and it's the best sound rig I ever had, honestly. Problem is, I'm being forced to downsize my gear for portability and financial reasons. Basically, the pubs and marquees where I play most of the time don't require such expensive gear.

Here are the main features:

- All valve, hand built pre
- 4 band eq incl. bass (boost only), low and high mids, treble
- Bass and bright boost switches
- EQ bypass switch
- 'Emphasis' control
- Jensen D.I. with level control
- Very, very high standard of components and workmanship (alpha pots, custom made toroidal transformers)
- External access to the valves so no need to unscrew anything - just pop them out and in to experiment.

And here's what Jack Read himself has to say about it:

[color=#000000]I had some [/color][b]custom[/b][color=#000000] [b]toroidal power transformers[/b] made so I could get this all down to one
rack space. I also incorporated an [b]effects loop[/b], a [b]DI level control[/b],
transformer coupling for the output signals, and an EQ Bypass switch. The
latter was something I had in mind from the very beginning and is an
indispensable feature. I strived to make the [/color][b]preamp[/b][color=#000000] [b]as open and natural
sounding as possible[/b]; capture some of that tube magic (warmth, depth, and a
certain three dimensional quality that I have never found in solid state
designs); and maintain [b]quick response and clarity without any harshness[/b]. I use very [b]high grade components in every part of the signal path[/b] wherever it makes a difference. I build high end tube audio gear now and then and much of the [/color][b]Bass [b]Purity[/b][/b][color=#000000] design was influenced by that. [b]I don't
use any printed circuit boards[/b].... Components are mounted on a 1/8" epoxy/fiberglass board and are soldered to turrets (not eyelets). Everything is [b]point-to-point wired[/b]. Tubes are 12AX7 and 12AU7.[/color]

[b]SOUND SAMPLES: [url="http://basstasters.com/preamps/Read_Purity.html"]http://basstasters.c...ead_Purity.html[/url][/b]

Here are some pictures of the [b]rig in the rack bag I'll be throwing in[/b]:

[attachment=99470:Photo 07-02-2012 12 10 58.jpg]

[attachment=99471:Photo 07-02-2012 12 11 36.jpg]

[attachment=100358:Photo 19-02-2012 13 10 12.jpg]

Feel free to come and test it.

Any questions, just shout.

Cheers

Eddie

Edited by eddiehoffmann

[quote name='nobody's prefect' timestamp='1328686061' post='1531023']
This preamp is the best sounding preamp I've had for bass, and am not selling mine. I still haven't checked out the Pope preamp, though.
[/quote]

Thanks man! Me too. I can see myself in recording session in the future crying for not having mine anymore... :(

Edited by eddiehoffmann

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1328748839' post='1532261']
These really are supposed to be fantastic pre-amps.

I'd love to hear one in action :)
[/quote]

Hey Molan!

You're welcome to come and try it. If I don't sell it I will be using it for a gig in Clapham on Friday. Come and have a listen!

[quote name='krispn' timestamp='1328750021' post='1532272']
Believe everything you have heard. Bypassed eq with some emphasis and you will not hear a better sounding preamp.

I'd have it back in a heartbeat but I'm way too mediocre a player to have such great kit.

Bumpt!
[/quote]

Thanks Gav. Half of me is trying to sell it and the other half is thinking of a plan to try to keep it.

Cheers

Little nightly bump.

If anybody out there has a good power amp and wants to have a GREAT bass amp, just buy this and stick on top.

If you have a rackmount bass amp with an fx loop and want a superb extra channel, here it is (just use an A/B box).

Check the link I added to the original post for some sound samples.

Cheers

I've been forced down the portable amp amp way, so I'm afraid I'll have no use for my trusted power amp any time soon.

With that in mind, would it make it a bit more interesting if I included my QSC PLX1602 power amp for an extra £150? If you know how good these amps are, you know this is a bargain. So, for the princely sum of £550, you'll get the ultimate bass amp. With the right cabinet(s), this is a Wembley Stadium worthy rig. Robert DeLeo, from Stone Temple Pilots, uses this very QSC model and his band is properly loud.

Reading back, I can't believe I'm letting this go, but I'm afraid it's the only way for me at the moment.

Bump for a serious bass rig!

I had the Read & PLX combo and it's a rocking combo. Yours is the first series right? Not that there's any sonic difference, just that they've shaved a bit of weight off each generation of the PLX amps, which are fantastic for even professional sound reinforcement applications.

If I manage to liquidate enough of my collection at decent prices I'm tempted to buy your Read to be my backup in case mine ever develops a fault.

Edited by nobody's prefect

[quote name='nobody's prefect' timestamp='1329637112' post='1545019']
I had the Read & PLX combo and it's a rocking combo. Yours is the first series right? Not that there's any sonic difference, just that they've shaved a bit of weight off each generation of the PLX amps, which are fantastic for even professional sound reinforcement applications.

If I manage to liquidate enough of my collection at decent prices I'm tempted to buy your Read to be my backup in case mine ever develops a fault.
[/quote]

Yeah, man. It is indeed a proper bass rig. My QSC is the first series, I can't remember if I bought it in 2001, or 2003. I'm the original owner and never had a problem with it. I took it to be serviced a couple of years ago and all the tech did was to clean it and preventively change the fan. He said it's the only thing he felt necessary since I had been using the amp for so long.

About the Read, if I had the money right now, I would pay someone to clone it for me. Like I said, I know there will come a day I'm going to miss having this rig. This is a world tour ready bass rig, but I would say is highly unlikely I would be going on world tour in the near future.

Someone out there is going to snatch a wicked rig for a bargain.