Why become a member? ×

Laquer - refinishing a neck

Gust0o

Bit of a general question about clear coats, really.

I've now got to the stage where I think I am happy with the body I've been refinishing. Base and colour coats went pretty well.

What I'm now wanting to work out is what clear coat - both for the body, and also for the neck. The neck had the kind of bumps and dents you see on a rugby player's chin, so I've sanded the original laquer off and got it smooth... but what to cover it with?

I know I have a choice of matt or gloss... and I'm thinking gloss. But I've no idea what brands/types might be available, so I'm asking as to what people would recommend.

Also, as the front of the headstock is painted, how should I treat this?

I've not tried refinishing a neck but my experience of 'matt' or 'satin' finished necks is that they always just gloss up within a couple of months of playing anyway.
My gut reaction is that it's easier to go for 'gloss' in the first place. :)

Starting off with a gloss finish also makes it less obvious that the owner tends to avoid going up the 'dusty end'. :)

The important thing here is to make sure any sealer primer or colour coat is compatible with the clear coat. If you used cellulose or acrylic colour, use a cellulose clear. Cellulose is real easy to apply, dries QUICK which eliminates a lot of the dust problems, and is easily touched up as it burns into previous layers. I'd stay away from polyurethane 'laquer' unless you want it super tough. Nitro can be applied really thin and in my view adds a nice sparkle to the tone.

I agree with Mr Letts re compatability of clear coat and the ease of Cellulose if compatible with base coat

For the neck have you thought about not over finishing the neck? a bare wood neck (to some) feels so much better and faster than a highly polished glossy one, sweet in the hands sticks to glass like surfaces.
Trouble with bare necks is there is nothing to protect the wood and stop it getting dirt ingrained. There are some really good modifed shellac sprits available that with a few light coats rubbed in offer protection but retain the natural feel of the neck. Very easy to do, doesnt look as fancy as glassy neck but plays a lot better

Bugger... this is all great information, by the way. The bugger is that the front of the headstock is already painted. Any way of telling what they would have used, in terms of matching laquer? Or should I just mask it off, and spray the rear and the neck?

Would be good to know how I should treat the sides of the fingerboard too. Lacquer those bits too?

It's like I said in my build thread, there's a lot more to think about than you first reckon! So thanks for the advice chaps!

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1328547624' post='1528867']
Bugger... this is all great information, by the way. The bugger is that the front of the headstock is already painted. Any way of telling what they would have used, in terms of matching laquer? Or should I just mask it off, and spray the rear and the neck?

Would be good to know how I should treat the sides of the fingerboard too. Lacquer those bits too?

It's like I said in my build thread, there's a lot more to think about than you first reckon! So thanks for the advice chaps!
[/quote]Oh god yea. laquer the lot mate. Spray it over the frets and everything! Put a spot of cellulose thinners on a tiny area, if it wets up you got nitro and it will dry off and you're good to go. If it just wipes off with no effect it's something else. You can shoot some acrylic clear over the colour to be sure and then laquer it. That is, i think you can acrylic over poly.

Edited by lettsguitars