Why become a member? ×

90's Fender P's, any one owned one? what are they like?

StevieD_FenderP2009

Hey guys

I'm looking to join the band wagon of people looking for Y.O.B. basses which unfortunately for me means a 1990 bass. My choice is obviously a Fender Precision Bass. You wouldn't expect anything less from a Steve Harris/ Marcus Grosskopf/ Geezer Butler/ Frank Bello nut.

Anyway yeah, I'm looking to get one with an Alder body, maple boarded and C shaped neck (with a gradual descent to a D shape from the 12-20 frets) then give it the full "Steve Harris" treatment which means a Badass II bridge, Seymour Duncan SPB-1 pick ups, chrome pickguard, Fender vintage reverse wind tuning pegs, Graphtech black tusq top nut, amber tinted neck, pure white refinish with blue/yellow/blue (instead of claret/blue/claret) binding and Leeds United (instead of West Ham) emblem on the back end of the bass.

If the general consensus is that the 90's Fenders are sh!te, I'll just bite the bullet and buy a late 70's/early 80's one.

Cheers
Stevie

Edited by StevieD_FenderP2009

[quote name='Mylkinut' timestamp='1328503302' post='1528146']
One of mine's a '97. Maybe that's a bit late for comparison, but it's brilliant nonetheless. Plays beautifully, great build, the nuts.
[/quote]

Same here, with my `97. Though I did read somewhere that Fender had yet another take-over in about 95, so the instruments knocked out for the next few years afterwards reflected the new owners desire to show they were serious about pushing the brand forward.

Hmm, that's interesting that both of you have 97's and say they're great basses but it's even more interesting that Lozz mentioned the 95 take over.

Kostas, it wasn't long before then that they started doing that. Personally, I'm not a fan as you lose the skunk stripe on the back of the neck but I know they do improve the strength of the neck.

I need someone with a 1990 P-Bass to tell me what it's like :(

Yeah, it was either a take-over, or a complete change/re-shuffle of personnel, I can`t remember which.

Incidentally, I just sold that 97 - I barely used it, so thought it would be better off being played regularly. Am sure I`m going to regret it.......