Why become a member? ×

Fat Finger

Col

Just wondered if anyone out there has used a "Fat Finger"?

These are the clamp type things that fix to the headstock, and supposedly add sustain.
I am curious to know if they actually make any difference.

~Cheers,

Col

Do they work?

[i]Generally[/i], yes.

I have two. Both bass versions, and they get swapped around across my collection as the mood takes me.
The effects are often quite subtle, but worthwhile.

Better sustain
Better, more even tone
They can help iron out the effects of dead spots.

If you have a really "vibrant" sounding (as opposed to dead or dull) instrument, a FatFinger [i]can[/i] kill it a bit.

I'll try to summarise the effects across my colection of basses;

[b]Better[/b]

Vigier - Just deepens and smooths an already excellent tone
Yamaha - As per the Vigier. Just makes the enormous bottom end tighter and more controlled
Zoot - Mainly improves the sustain
Fender - Better all round and improves the dead-spots
Squire - In every respect.
Warwick IV - Seems to extend the frequency response of the bass to an nearly magical extent! More fundamental output. Better harmonic content and better note definition.
Warwick VI - Not much, really, but on a Wenge neck of that size, it's not going to make that much odds, is it?!
Ibanez - Tames the aggressive edge this bass adds to every note without robbing it of its energy.

[b]Worse[/b]

OLP MM3 - Just kills the best bits. Dead. Sounds like you've swapped rounds for (old, dead) flats!

Overall, good.
Worth taking a chance for £20 or so.
If you're not so sure, ask to try one in a shop (it's not all internet, internet, internet, you know!)
Give them a whirl. They're not a panacea, but I found one of the guys at the last bash swore by the one on his Deluxe Jazz V.
Best on cheap / mid price instruments, but still give an "improvement" on high-end basses. No good on headless basses, mind you :)

They're not heavy enough to cause neck dive, but I have one and it makes no difference for me whatsoever. I use heavy gauge strings, so that may be a reason for this, and I can't say for certain that it didn't make any difference to sustain as I do use mild compression on the low frequencies and didn't do any rigorous testing. I've only tried it on my Fender Jap Precision and an American Fender Deluxe Precision, so not extensive testing!