Why become a member? ×

Thinking of building myself a Jazz

goblin

As the thread title sums it up really. I'm considering looking at building a top Jazz for around £500 - £600 if I can. So far plans I'm thinking of are an alder body with a flamed maple cap, translucent sea blue or wine red finish, gold hardware (badass, schaller heads etc), John East electronics.

Really I'm just looking for other suggestions too, and ideas. Front or rear routing, what pickups, what woods etc.

I want it to look fairly generic, but special too.

[quote name='goblin' timestamp='1327959119' post='1519615']
It'll be from parts :) As for pups I've no idea, I considered Bartolini
[/quote]

ah that makes more sense!
(the parts, not the barts)/
you going to get that in on budget? the east EQ and barts are not the cheapest.... where you going to get the woodwork parts from?

I reckon budget will be tight. If I go for rear routing I can save myself money on the East system and have what I've got in both of the Warwicks, as they appear to be cheaper than the Retros. Woodwork parts I've no idea. I'm going to wait until at least march once I've done London bass show, where I'm going to play as many Jazzes as I can, so I can decide whether I want a 4 or a 5 (means I could possibly sell the 6 giving more money in the budget, but do I want to have a 5 string all the time as I'll be selling the fretted 'Vette to make way)

It's all very complicated :lol:

idea.... if the fretted vett is going could you not take the east from there? if you have the original preamp.
I would love to do the same as you, I was looking at what I would do and ended up wanting to spec USACG parts, I've had a bass with them and they are brilliant. I think if I did go that way I would stump out a bit more and look at Atkinson basses in the US.

I could take the East out, but my mate has also said to me that he loves it with the East too. Could potentially be an easy sale! Ideally I'd like to keep it but I'll see what funds are after however long and such. For what I want I reckon I'll be able to get the build within budget. Well, until I looked at the Warmoth website :lol:

The foundations of an instrument are the body & neck, I believe they should be of a very good quality. You can start with cheap pickups/electronics and update later but the body & neck will stay with you. Part guitars don't hold their value in the used market so you'd better be sure what you want and order the best you can afford. Warmoth, USACG and Status (for necks) all have quality parts. Warmoth even have the showcase where you can save money with ready to go parts.

I've a body / neck (4 string) rear routed & routed for Nordstrand Big Singles (my fav pups which I've even installed on my Dingwall !) also got 5-way rotary selector switch but struggling to find the time to finish .... wont be keeping it any way as I now only play 5 .. can post some pics if you're interested ?

I've had a Warmoth before & do recommend them but got hit with import tax & vat tho ...

Edited by sifi2112

Thanks sifi, I'll bear that in mind. I won't be making a move on it until some time around late march / april so got time to carry on with the research and such. As for Warmoth my dad's got a Warmoth Telecaster which is absolutely beautiful, but as you said, tax and vat is an issue (although ours came second hand from a neighbour who traded one of his guitars for it, didn't like it but liked our Tokai Les Paul!)

If you can post pics though that would be great, wet my appetite a bit :P