Why become a member? ×

SOLD: Dingwall Afterburner AB1 5 String- £1,500: SOLD

Old Horse Murphy

I recently acquired this from Danwebb22 in a trade but have decided that it's not really for me (because I don't play 5 strings).

It's a 5 string Dingwall Afterburner AB1 in Purpleburst with the custom option of the 5A Flame Maple top and the blacked out heel and headstock. It also comes with a superb Dingwall (made by Levy's) gigbag. It is also in immaculate condition. The actual colour is slightly darker than the pics (the flash has lightened the finish a bit).

The bass weighs an incredible 8lbs 6oz and was bought from Mark at Bass Direct for £2,300 a while ago.

This bass is the nuts to play. The sounds from the passive Dingwall circuit are wonderful (goes from P bass, through to growly Jazz bass to a mixture of both) and the fanned frets took me only a few minutes to get used to and it feels far more comfortable and natural than a more traditionally fretted bass. The evenness of the sound across the strings is fantastic and the B String is playable right the way up the neck.

One of the best things for me is the fact that all the strings feel the same tension and give an even playability (IE the B String is not flappy compared to the D or G String). The bass also comes with a brand new set of Payson Flatwounds and these too feel completely stable and even across all strings (often an issue on 5 string basses).

I'm looking for £1,500 for this (plus £15 P&P)

Here are the specs of the Dingwall range:[list]
[*]1. Dingwall made in Canada FD3-A, MACH II 4 L pickups
2. Dingwall passive controls; volume, pickup selector (Bridge, both parallel, both series, Neck), tone control
3. Dingwall USA strings
4. Two piece Alder body*
5. 5A Flame Maple top - £300 option
6. Purpleburst finish
7. Blacked out headstock and heelplate (£50 option)
8. Wenge Fingerboard - satin finish, 34 - 37", Ivoroid side dots
9. Banjo frets
10. Novax® Fanned -Fret System™
11. 5 piece Maple neck
12. Hipshot ultralight tuners (black) with Extender key on the E string (£85 option)
13. Custom Dingwall Bridge (Black finish)
14. Weight - 8lb 9oz/3.9kg
15. Manufactured in Canada
[/list]
[font=ArialMS, Arial, sans-serif][size=3]Here's a link to Dingwall's website too: [url="http://www.dingwallguitars.com/basses/afterburner-series/afterburner-1/"]http://www.dingwallg.../afterburner-1/[/url][/size][/font]

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[size=3]Oh no..... it's back again! I love this bass; - if only I could afford it!!

I had the pleasure of meeting Nick last year when I bought a lovely Aria acoustic bass from him.
I can tell you fellow Basschatters than Nick is very friendly and obliging, and an all-round thoroughly decent guy, whoever buys/trades with him will be getting a great bass from a great bloke :) [/size]

[size=2][size=3]Good luck with the sale Nick, if only I had the money!...[/size] :( [/size]