Why become a member? ×

Early Steinberger Q4 / XQ2 = SOLD

eubassix

Early Steinberger Q4 / XQ2 (v1) in metallic blue (original colour). I’ve put this together using both original and new/replacement parts and it’s now completed – took a while as some parts (original or otherwise) are hard to source. May become even moreso with the recent death of Ed Roman. Body and neck are both original and from the same era. Neck # is N3638 (indicates late 80’s) and is in excellent condition. Body (1990 or early 90’s) shows a lot of wear (I’ve sanded/finished and then coated the ‘natural’ areas, to prevent further paint loss. Couldn’t source a neck-plate, so countersunk the body(neck) holes so that the new bolts would be almost flush: worked well – it’s a very secure/clean fit. Pickups are the replacement ‘Select-Designed by EMG’ and are active. I do have ONE of the original EMG 40 pickups which I’ll include with the bass – you would then need to source another. Original ‘T’ shaped Steinberger Bridge was impossible to source (for sensible ££) so I’ve adapted/routed the bridge area to fit one of the new Steinberger System Bridges (as fitted to later models). Sourced some nice aluminium/black knobs which seem to suit the bass OK. Pots are not original but are of the correct spec. The bass is currently V-V-T (passive, but with the active pickups) – it could become a lot louder and have a greater tonal range (but become even less ‘original) if a new EQ were fitted: the second rear cavity is empty (!) and there’s also quite some space in the first. Not sure why they did this (double/extended rout - unless if was to save weight and balance the bass better?). The (original) jack socket seems a bit loose/slack but works OK: this is something else that might be replaced (or fixed). Having finally got the bass finished/working, I didn’t want to muck-about any more TBH. 34” scale with string spacing(s) of: 10mm (nut), 16mm (fret-24), 18mm (bridge). Weight is 9lbs. Nut is a slim 1 & 3/8”. Hard to price – checking the USA market these seem to go for high prices * .. but do tend to be mostly Original. Brand new set of Elite DBE strings fitted (35-55-75-95).[color=#000000] [color=black]Don’t have a case for this, but it will be well packaged if Couriered. You might be able to find an original case (ebay link) or to use a decent guitar gig-bag (overall length is only 100cm / 39.5”). I'm adding lots of photos plus some useful links:- [/color][/color][b]SOLD[/b]

Edited by eubassix

• 3 weeks later...