Why become a member? ×

gotoh bridge

garry warrington

Ive got Gotoh 201's on both my Squiers and i love them. They look and feel better to me, compared to the BBOT and vintage style bridges. Cant say i noticed ant tone change but then i was coming from high mass bridges anyway.
Funny enough i needed a Gotoh 201 to get a decent action when i changed necks on my P, as the new one as a bit higher and the standard HM bridge couldn't get the stings up high enough.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1327831725' post='1517233']
I've had the same on my Bitsa P which has a Badass II, the solution is to shim the neck, which raises the neck height. BOD2 gives a pretty comprehensive tutorial here..
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/49897-how-to-shim-a-neck/page__hl__neck%20shim"]http://basschat.co.u...hl__neck%20shim[/url]

It's pretty straight forward, and gave me excellent results
[/quote]

Used this tutorial and had great results after I'd had the raised-action problem described above with the Gotoh.

[quote name='garry warrington' timestamp='1327777689' post='1516709']
upgrading my homemade p/j bass, just been looking at some heavy duty replacement bridges around £20
would the cheaper gotoh bridge be better than these.
the gotoh bridge has brass saddles will this make difference

also is it better to have better quality machine heads for a more vibrant tone
[/quote]

I don't imagine machine heads have anything to do with tone (nor does the finish on the bass, as many claim); nothing above the nut or below the bridge will make any noticeable difference in tone. That is, no part of the string that is not vibrating can appreciably affect tone.

Edited by tedgilley

• 3 weeks later...