Why become a member? ×

Tone pot broke

super.rad

Plugged my bass (P-Bass copy) into the amp on friday at band practice and it was buzzing really loudly, i could barely hear what i was playing over the noise. Eventually worked out it was the tone pot, I always have it on full but the only way to stop the noise was to turn it completely down. Had 2 gigs on the weekend where i had to play with it completely down, luckily managed to get it sounding alright by fiddling with the amp's eq. Need to fix the bass now but I'm thinking as the tone is always on full (I play punk) would it work just to wire the bass without a tone control? If so could someone please find a wiring diagram. Thanks

[quote name='super.rad' post='169232' date='Apr 3 2008, 04:13 PM']Plugged my bass (P-Bass copy) into the amp on friday at band practice and it was buzzing really loudly, i could barely hear what i was playing over the noise. Eventually worked out it was the tone pot, I always have it on full but the only way to stop the noise was to turn it completely down. Had 2 gigs on the weekend where i had to play with it completely down, luckily managed to get it sounding alright by fiddling with the amp's eq. Need to fix the bass now but I'm thinking as the tone is always on full (I play punk) would it work just to wire the bass without a tone control? If so could someone please find a wiring diagram. Thanks[/quote]

The best place would be the support section on www.fender.com. They have all the wiring diagrams.

[quote name='super.rad' post='169232' date='Apr 3 2008, 04:13 PM']Plugged my bass (P-Bass copy) into the amp on friday at band practice and it was buzzing really loudly, i could barely hear what i was playing over the noise. Eventually worked out it was the tone pot, I always have it on full but the only way to stop the noise was to turn it completely down. Had 2 gigs on the weekend where i had to play with it completely down, luckily managed to get it sounding alright by fiddling with the amp's eq. Need to fix the bass now but I'm thinking as the tone is always on full (I play punk) would it work just to wire the bass without a tone control? If so could someone please find a wiring diagram. Thanks[/quote]

Yes, just snip one of the wires on the cap. I don't use tone controls on any of my basses.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' post='172264' date='Apr 8 2008, 02:37 PM']Just as likely (or even more likely) to be the capacitor - cut it off.[/quote]

What difference does this make? Does this render the tone pot useless?

[quote name='Sean' post='172543' date='Apr 8 2008, 07:41 PM']What difference does this make? Does this render the tone pot useless?[/quote]

Yep - completely useless, but it should cure your crackling until you can get it fixed. You don't need it, there's tone controls on your amp

:)