Why become a member? ×

Fender USA '62 Jazz Bass refinish at home

kevin_lindsay

Spraying in the house wouldn't be s good move. When I did the Surf Green Strat I did spray at first in a storage room at home, but the dust created from the overspray gets everywhere!! What a mess!!
Best do it outside, or in a garage or shed. Make sure the area gets well ventilated. Also, if you're gonna spray outside avoid windy conditions on case dust gets blown onto the lacquer.

Edited by kevin_lindsay

The pink on the headstock jas been wet & dried to a smooth finish, the masking tape has been removed also.

I then finely sanded the headstock edge to ensure there were no sharp paint edges . I also used a fine cloth with cellulose thinners and carefully wiped the headstock sides to ensure no overspray was on the wood.

Then, it was time to begin applying the clear lacquer onto the neck. Due to the sun ageing the maple previously, I can simply apply clear, untinted lacquer. I'm going to keep the neck finish very thin to get a better, woody tone (I'm so glad the thick, heavily tinted lacquer which was originally on there has been removed!!)

Edited by kevin_lindsay

I've been thinking of piecing together a Precision with a Jazz neck out of parts - I'd love to finish it in Sonic or Daphne Blue with a matching headstock. I'm pretty sure I'd balls it up since I have no experience at all, but this is turning out so well I migh have to try it.

That's the neck done. I'm awaiting delivery of the appropriate Fender Jazz Bass waterslide decal (that's just applied on top of the clearcoat - like Fender does).

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/6d49c6b5.jpg[/IMG]

The back of the neck is really nice feeling. I've used a very thin lacquer layer, but it still feels nice and smooth. As I mentioned earlier, the maple on the neck has tinted nicely due to UV from sunlight. Here's a pic of the back of the headstock to show the comparison between the exposed wood, and the wood masked by the tuners.

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/027914b7.jpg[/IMG]

I'll be applying the pink to the body later today (the body has been prepped with White primer - pics to follow.

Pink coats almost done. I'll flatten the finish tomorrow morning and if needs be, I'll spray some more coats. If all's good after Flatting, I'll apply the clear coats and leave the body to dry for a week or two, then final flat & buff the finish.

Here's a quick pic to give an idea about how it'll look with the plate in situ:

[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/1733ff77.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y289/kevin_lindsay/447afe6f.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by kevin_lindsay

I had a slight rub through of the Shell Pink when flatting it earlier this morning. Lower rear bout on the back of the body, and on the tips of both horns. I've re-sprayed very thin lacquer onto those areas. I hope everything work's out cool later for final flatting and keying for the application of the clear coats.

If I have another rub through, I'll have to order more Shell Pink lacquer as I've now used the last of the can I had.

Fingers crossed for later!!!

Edited by kevin_lindsay

Well, I was buffing the body last week and I got a slight rub through, not totally through to the White undercoat, just enough to give a slight blush to the pink finish. I knew it was there, and although neither my brother or some friends said they could see it, I was drawn to it every time I looked at the body.

So, I decided to redo the body! Wiping off the new finish was a complete breeze - took less than 15 minutes to get back to the natural wood again. The body is now re-finished in the Shell Pink (White primer, Shell Pink and then clear coats). It's been drying for almost a week, and I've smoothed the whole finish with 1200 grade wet and dry. I'll leave it for another week before buffing it to a shine.

Hopefully everything will go smoothly this time?

Also, the replacement Fender headstock decal should be with me tomorrow. I'll post pics of the headstock with it in place soon.