Why become a member? ×

HipShot Extender too short!

allighatt0r

Bit of an odd one this.... I ordered a Hipshot Extender for my Washburn bass, as my new yamaha has one and I quite like them! I decided i needed a GB7 as that's the one that looks the same. :P [url="http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=72"]http://store.hipshotproducts.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=72[/url]

I came to fit it last night, and found that the bit the string winds round (can't remember the name at the moment) is not long enough for the thickness of the headstock.

Now, has anyone taken one of these apart? Is it possible to swap the bit the string winds round between the old tuner and the hipshot? Or should I give up and try and sell the hipshot on here?

I fitted one of these to my Sandberg and found that the post was a lot shorter than the others, but this was the model recommended by both Sandberg and Hipshot. The only way I can see of making it poke through more is cutting out a rebate in the back of the head for the fixing plate. If you can find a way of stripping yours down and making some sort of adjustment I'd like to,hear about it.

Edit. I have fitted D Tuners to pretty all my basses in the past (Fenders, MMs) and they've all been the same height or in some cases (MMs) a little taller. Go figure.

Edited by ezbass

Hipshot have always been helpful when I've emailed them - perhaps they're away of this problem and can provide a solution. I had the same issue with the GB7 I put on my old epi t-bird. It worked OK, but the string post should have been made longer to make up for the gubbings hipshot add to the back of the tuner.

Had a go at seeing if i could take it apart yesterday, unfortunately there is an immoveable rivet that stopped me in my tracks. I'll send Hipshot an email and see if they can suggest anything, but otherwise it's going to have to be the Basschat marketplace for this bad boy i think! I don't have the skills or the money to get it rebated into the back of the headstock...

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1327188313' post='1507724']
See if you can replace the washer with alternatives made up of sliced up washing up liquid bottle.
[/quote]I'll have a look at mine again, but as I remember it isn't the same as the Fender replacement ones with the big nylon washer, it's far more sealed and un-mod-able.

Just stripped it off and down as far as you can get it. There is no nylon washer, they've opted for a very thin metal spring washer on this model. I got the shaft out (just a circlip) to reveal the metal spacer which seems to be the real cause of the problem, but this is soldered to the base plate so is not removable/adjustable. I feel that my original idea of a rebate is probably the way forward with this model, a job any decent chippie would be able to accomplish or anyone confident with a router tip fitted to a Dremmel.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...