Why become a member? ×

Help choosing a bass

super.rad

I'm the bassist in a punk band (also play a bit of ska & reggae) I currently have a p-bass copy (the company is called black, it's about the same quality as a squier). I've got about £200 to buy another bass, I would save longer to buy a nice fender but I'm doing a lot of gigs and going to europe at the end of the month so need a 2nd bass as soon as possible. The basses I have been looking at are the Squier Vintage Modified Jazz, Precision & Tele-Bass, Squier Standard P-Bass Special, Squier Standard Jazz Bass & Squier Mike Dirnt Signature Bass (not usually a fan of signature basses but like the look of this one).
I know the Squier VM series are pretty highly rated but I haven't seen any reviews of the tele-bass so not sure if that would have the right sound. Also are the standard squier series that bad or will it be alright for a 2nd bass and then when I have the money I could put a QP pickup and badass bridge on it to make it better? As I already have a P-Bass I'm leaning towards a Jazz so that I have one of both and then when I do have the money for a much better bass I will have played both a lot so know if I'd prefer a Jazz or Precision
My amp is a Kustom 600w head with Kustom 4x10 cab. Thanks in advance for any help

[quote name='super.rad' post='168795' date='Apr 2 2008, 11:35 PM']I've been looking for a 2nd hand mexican fender for around £200 but can't find anything at the moment, I'd prefer to buy 2nd hand anyway.[/quote]

you'll be lucky, mine was £300 but in pretty good cond, few buckle scratches mind. Sure if you wont mind one thats pretty beat up you'll find one for £200.

seen some pretty cheep Jag's on ebay that retail about £400 and going for 120ish.

[quote name='super.rad' post='168829' date='Apr 3 2008, 01:18 AM']Thanks hadn't really heard much about SX before but after reading a few threads they seem to be quite popular, any idea of websites that sell them in the UK?[/quote]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16555&hl="]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16555&hl=[/url]