Why become a member? ×

Promethean Woes - Update

Count Bassy

Some of you have read and even contributed to my previous thread re my 'Clicking' Promethean, so I thought I'd give you an update.

Rockem Music heard from the distributor today, and it is definitely faulty, which is a relief. You start to question your own ears and stuff when a brand new piece of kit doesn't perform as you'd expect.

This is Good news I suppose, however the bad news is that there has apparently been a bad batch of boards from China and there loads being returned faulty, so they (the distributor) can't offer me replacement, and have no good boards in stock to replace just that.

New boards are supposedly coming from China, but they can't say when that will be. We bass chatters know that this product is about to be replaced (the guy who rang from Rockem didn't know this), so it makes you wonder if they will bother to replace them.

As Rockem Man said, I'm probably lucky that mine failed straight away. There are probably lots out there which are due to fail at sometime.Fair do's to Rockem, he said that they will be contacting any of their customers who may have faulty ones to advise them of the (potential) problem.

Rockem have offered me my money back, or they will replace it with one of the 5115K combos (they have been offered a deal by the distributors due to the problem (or is it because its about to be dropped)) but I'd still have to pay an extra £50. The 15" is 4 Ohm and will give the full 500W and in other circumstances might be worth considering but...

Surely the amp in this combo is exactly the same as the one in 10" combo, so it's as likely to have the fault as the 10" one.

Of course Rockem could just be bullshitting, or the bloke didn't know much about them (Did not know that they were end of life, or that its the same amp in both combos.

I suspect I'll go for the refund, but just in case - Has anyone used the 15" combo, if so what do they think of it (personally I think its cheeky to call it a combo - its just a cab with an amp bolted on top. Hardly integrated - I wouldn't want to stick that in a car with the amp still attached!

Cheers,

The count

I didn't buy the Promethean because of this very reason and the fact that threads like these emerged with quite a few disgruntled users. I bought a PJB Flightcase instead and I am pleased to say it is faultless. May lack a little volume for loud band work but it is a capable combo with a fabulous sound for under £600. I hope you get your issues resolved soon and manage to source a suitable replacement.

Best of luck,

Mark.