Why become a member? ×

GK 410MBE or 212MBE?

Colledge

Well chaps, i could do with a few opinions if you don't mind.

My back is telling me to get a new cab.
At the moment i'm playing a trace v-type head through an old marshall jubilee 4x10 which weighs around about the same as a small planet.
the amp only puts out 280w @ 4 ohms, but through this cab i've never really felt lacking. although in the near future i do see myself going for something like a LMII or shuttle 6.0.

basically, originally i was looking for any lighter weight solution that will still give me the oomph i need in a dual guitar blues rock band.
i've browsed for a bit on the classifieds, considered barefaced bass and matamp, but i just can't afford £500+ at the moment.
well these GK MBE series cabs have caught my eye.
both the 2x12 and the 4x10 around the same weight (20kg) similar sized and can take a good amount of power, 600 for the 2x12 and 800 for the 4x10.
and what caught my eye most is the price, both come in at under £350, which for a lightweight cab seems very cheap.

long story short, has anyone tried out either of these cabs?
or even if you haven't played them, any input on the 4x10 vs 2x12 debate?

heres the 2 cabs in question:
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Gallien-Krueger-410MBE-Bass-Amp-Cabinet-4-ohm~ID~15019.asp
http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Gallien-Krueger-212MBE-Bass-Amp-Cabinet-4-Ohm~ID~15014.asp

cheers.

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]If getting the GK cabs is your second choice I'd stick to plan A. Move your current cab with a folding aluminium trolley until you can afford your Barefaced cab.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]

Thomann.de are a good site for this. They have sound samples of many of the cabs, They don`t have one for the 410, or 212 in the MBE range, but do for the 210.

A 212 pushes approximately the same area as a 310, so you wouldn`t be losing too much surface area if you chose this over the 410. However, if you already have a 410, and like it, the extra power handling of the GK410 may be beneficial for your next amp - whatever you get.

Both cabs come in 8 or 4 ohm versions, so getting the 4 ohm cab would mean getting full power from your current amp - and your next amp, if it`s a 4 ohm amp.

Not had any experience with 4x10 or 2x12.... but I'm quite impressed with the two 2x10 configuration. GKMBE

Just in the process of sorting out sending back the slightly duffer cab of the two I had from Thomann, to be replaced...
Not a huge problem, just a dodgy horn switch.... (They are very efficient at sorting problems & it's no expense to me)

I'm happy with the cabs... punchy, surprisingly big bottom end!.. & so very light! For the money, can't be beat!

Edited by bottomfeed