Why become a member? ×

Can you identify this bass?

Scotticus

Picked this 5er up in a local shop recently. There's absolutely no branding, so I've got no idea when it was made, who by, where abouts etc. Even the pickups are unbranded... argh!

Here's some pics. Does anybody recognise her?

[attachment=97323:Sexy Drag Bod.jpg]
[attachment=97322:Sexy sexy drag.jpg]
[attachment=97324:Drags Drags (neck) .jpg]
[attachment=97325:Drag Headstock.jpg]

I know practically bugger all about electronics, so the only thing I could identify when I opened her up was that the EQ is made by G&B Co. And so far, that's all I've got to go on.

Thanks for any clues...

Scott

Looks like a Chinese eBay special. They get sold under various names with varying degrees of insane inlaying, usually with unusual (but not original) body styles- they had one that looked kind of like a Ritter. Antoniotsai was the brand I remember, I think. Not seen any in a while (although I haven't really looked).

Plays really well in spite of the nut. Tuning is stable, really comfy neck and frets, no dead spots that I can find and plenty of sustain. It's surprisingly well balanced too.

Only slight issue I'm having with it is a tad more "string ring" than I'm used to. I'm not knew to playing 5, and my muting isn't any worse than when I'm playing my Warwick $$ 5, but the strings on this just seem to vibrate a hell of a lot easier, even though both basses are strung with the same brand/gauge. Could that be nut related?

Scott

[quote name='Scotticus' timestamp='1326663908' post='1500268']
Plays really well in spite of the nut. Tuning is stable, really comfy neck and frets, no dead spots that I can find and plenty of sustain. It's surprisingly well balanced too.

Only slight issue I'm having with it is a tad more "string ring" than I'm used to. I'm not knew to playing 5, and my muting isn't any worse than when I'm playing my Warwick $$ 5, but the strings on this just seem to vibrate a hell of a lot easier, even though both basses are strung with the same brand/gauge. Could that be nut related?

Scott
[/quote]

The strings above the nout on the headstock ringing will be down to a badly cut nut.