Why become a member? ×

Audere Query

Josh

Hey guys,

I've recently aqquired another Lakland JO5 in a trade, and it's come with a Audere JZ3 preamp installed. Having read a couple of reviews I thought I had a good idea of what I tones I should be able to achieve.

However, I generally like to play with my mids and treble cut and maybe a little bit added on via my GK MB200 when needs be, but with my 2 other Laklands and my Streamer I traded for this, I can always get the nice smooth warm tone which is what i tend to play with. But even when I've cut both the mids and treble on the bass and on the head, there is still a distinct mid and treble presence and I'm not getting on with it as it ruins any smooth tone I'm trying to achieve.

Is this common of the Audere or is it because of the stock passive Lakland picks ups?

Thanks guys,

Josh.

I'm not a technical person, so forgive my vague reply.

I've got an Audere Z-mode 3-band preamp on one of my basses -- and it has a mini toggle that emphasises different frequencies depending on where it's set. Does yours have that -- and does changing it help?

I think you can also adjust tone settings on the circuit board inside. Here's the website:

[url="http://www.audereaudio.com/JZ3.htm"]http://www.audereaudio.com/JZ3.htm[/url]

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Mark

Hey Mark,

It's got the 3 way Z mode switch. I've switched through all 3 constantly and it's persistently there, I've also adjusted the gain controls too and again it is still there.

I don't like having a preamp that you can't ever leave on one setting when you want to play it and get frustrated with it, whereas my other Lakland's it's never a problem.

• 3 months later...

Just fitted a JZ3 to my Fender fretless. Still noodling and fiddling with the settings but overall very impressed.

Re the OP I've found that with the Z-mode switch to Low (pointing to the neck), and treble wound off a bit, mids neutral or backed off a bit and the balance about 30% towards the neck pickup delivers a pretty sweet and smooth tone. Maybe the fretlessness and flats helps though...Not where I'll be leaving it but one of the things I tried out.