Why become a member? ×

Yamaha SG- :)keep it? see post 18 for questions

LukeFRC

I'd say keep it - if you're keen to do more guitar playing, you'll be more inclined to carry on when you have a quality instrument that feels great in your hands. You've got a couple of lovely basses there, you can't play 'em all at once, but you've only got the one guitar. If you let it go and end up having to replace it with something cheap'n'cheerful you'll be longing for the Yammy in no time!

guys.... thanks for the advice.... :) I think all the advice has been going the same way- to hang onto it.
which I think is good advice, I guess as bass player i felt like I needed some validation in that! The best thing about it is that as a non player it makes me want to pick it up and play- look up tab on the net and make sound... normally with electric guitars of friends I strum for a bit then hand them back- but this feel ace and makes you want to play it- it also makes my acoustic more accessible, if that makes sense. so it stays :)

I'm going to make the back plate for it, and as one of the volume pots is still maybe replace it... with the push pull coil tapping ones would be cool!
Luke

• 2 weeks later...

And an update.... this thing is lovely, it looks awesome to look at, but I think eventually I will move it on, why? well I'm not a guitarist, and I don't really want to be- well let me rephrase that... the guitarists I love and I would want to play like are all either folk or classical guitarists. Electric guitar I'm less fussed about.
Which is strange as most the music I listen to is electric rather than acoustic! strange.
So I could keep this beautiful thing, and wouldn't do me any harm to either, but Lozz's advice keeps coming to mind,

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1327605135' post='1514189']
Yammy SGs are quality guitars, my advice would be only sell it if you need the money, or think that, as you don`t use it much, it would be better off with someone who would use it a lot.
[/quote]

and I just think it would be far better for someone who will really cherish the instrument, and use it. So at some point I'll try and find that person. How I'll do that I don't know, no idea on a price for it or want to get into the faff of ebay/gumtree or endless bumping of sales threads here, ideally one of my friends with a bit of money would just turn up and want it, and I could make him happy! but meh. I'm not in a rush.

Strangely though it has made me pick up the acoustic more! :) which is a good thing.

I guess this also fits into my declutter I'm trying to do, I have the amp/cab combo which will last me forever, I have two great basses, and a brilliant acoustic. I've bought and sold enough to have tried everything I want to. Unlimited money and I'm sure a nice Jazz* and a Warwick JD thumb would end up in my collection, but apart from that I just want less stuff about. And any restlessness I would have I would play with homebuilt pedals and stuff**. So less stuff..... anyway, I've rambled enough now!

*nice jazz for me doesn't cost the earth, and the shopping list would possibly go in this order... Squier JV/early Tokai/2x18's Bacchus/Highway 1 fender/that cimar I sold to a mate/some other japcrap jazz copy... actually the cimar might be higher up that list!

** ironically buying and selling basses for me has generally cost the price of a set of strings and postage. So what £30 to try some amazing things out. So not expensive. I have been lucky with what I've found to buy and sell on though and not lost much at all. It's not always going to work that way. But probably cheaper than buying electronic components.