Why become a member? ×

Yamaha SG- :)keep it? see post 18 for questions

LukeFRC

So yesterday was designated new guitar day.... I didn't buy it then but fixed it up into a playable condition. still needs a backplate over the control cavity made but thats an easy wee job.
It's an Yamaha SG400, know very little about it, possibly 1980 or thereabouts. It's been well played and looked after since then and seems almost perfect condition.
two of the tuner buttons are unmatching replacements, but they work fine and getting the thing playable was the priority- not plugged the thing in yet but it is fun and easy to play- baring in mind I can't actually play much (yet) so something to learn.

The best part, was I pulled it out a bin at my aunts, bit of a mystery where they got it from, the tuner parts were free from a local music shop, and the strings cost me £5. So this guitar was cheaper than a trip to the cinema! fun stuff! :)

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='Doctor J' timestamp='1326296989' post='1495089']
Sweet! A mate of mine picked up a similar vintage SG1000, he's bringing it over this weekend, can't wait to try it out. They are amazing guitars.
[/quote]

ooh they are the tip top fancy ones arn't they, with the coil taps and full blocks on the fretboard.
I think it's a good guitar, i mean a japanese yamaha should be and it feels good- but strangely I have no idea how good mine is as it's not a bass.
:)

My memory's not what it was, but I seem to remember these (the Japanese ones anyway) as really top guitars, attracting favourable comparisons with the Les Pauls of the day (which, despite the name and the shape, they were more directly comparable to) for a lot less folding. Looks like you've bagged yourself a good one! It may even be worth your while to get it restored to something like it's original condition (doesn't look to be an expensive job....).

You could try here:

[url="http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/"]http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/[/url]

They've been on Denmark Street for years. Downside is they'll want to see it in the flesh to do a proper valuation. Still, asking does no harm.

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1326618577' post='1499468']
You could try here:

[url="http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/"]http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/[/url]

They've been on Denmark Street for years. Downside is they'll want to see it in the flesh to do a proper valuation. Still, asking does no harm.
[/quote]

yeah... but edinburgh is a long way from london! think i may just keep the thing. it's nice :)

[quote name='simwells' timestamp='1326729058' post='1501112']
Seen this Luke?

[url="http://dirtyoldman.multiply.com/journal/item/108/Help_Do_U_Know_Me_Vintage_Yamaha_SG-400?&show_interstitial=1&u=%2Fjournal%2Fitem"]http://dirtyoldman.m...Fjournal%2Fitem[/url]
[/quote]

ooh thanks, that's pretty interesting. :)

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1326730893' post='1501162']
The guitarist in a band I played in during the '70's had one of these. Great tone and easy to play and was a bit cheaper than the Les Paul he also had. I think you have a top axe there. Enjoy.
[/quote]

Yeah it is nice. I've played a few electrics in my time, and recently been trying out friends, but this is just so nice to play, and feels so good.... not heard it plugged in yet though! :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='musophilr' timestamp='1327441223' post='1511379']
Good find, Sir! Yamaha SG types are good axes (I've got a 2000). Enjoy :)
[/quote]

I know plugged it in for the first time yesterday, sounds great even through a bass amp.
I asked questions about it here http://forum.japanaxe.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2609 and got some answers.
To be honest not certain I'll keep it, the long story is that Bassassin was asking about it and it's been offered to him first but waiting to hear back from his gf. so we shall see :)

playing with selling this (as I can't play it) to buy a jazz bass on here. But pretty sure that if I did and later wanted to play electric I wouldn't find a better guitar in my budget..... should it go? It just seems daft daft daft having 2 guitars, which I currently can't play, and 2 basses. But man is this fun to play!
any thoughts? and any idea of where I should price this?

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1327522723' post='1512947']
playing with selling this (as I can't play it) to buy a jazz bass on here. But pretty sure that if I did and later wanted to play electric I wouldn't find a better guitar in my budget..... should it go? It just seems daft daft daft having 2 guitars, which I currently can't play, and 2 basses. But man is this fun to play!
any thoughts? and any idea of where I should price this?
[/quote]

If you want to learn and you like this guitar I would say stick with it, at least for a few months until you've decided whether you want to continue learning guitar or not.

[quote name='FlatEric' timestamp='1327522878' post='1512954']
Someone, not a million miles away, might just like to have this. . . . . ;)
[/quote]
do you mean Jon? yeah it's been offered to him (well his GF) already, figured if he wanted it I would be glad to let it go regardless, not heard back though yet and I'm wondering if they don't want it what then?
[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1327523890' post='1512968']
If you want to learn and you like this guitar I would say stick with it, at least for a few months until you've decided whether you want to continue learning guitar or not.
[/quote]
ah but that's what's the acoustic is for ;) I've also got an amazing acoustic that I picked up, again not going anywhere as you couldn't get anywhere near for the amount it would get from selling.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1327524742' post='1512985']
ah but that's what's the acoustic is for ;) I've also got an amazing acoustic that I picked up, again not going anywhere as you couldn't get anywhere near for the amount it would get from selling.
[/quote]

Acoustic and electric guitars are 2 very different beasts. It would be a good idea to practise on both of them to increase your versatility.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1327573557' post='1513450']
Acoustic and electric guitars are 2 very different beasts. It would be a good idea to practise on both of them to increase your versatility.
[/quote] yeah I know, that's the dilemma.... keep it and never be in want of an electric or acoustic ever, or sell one and mmmm jazz bass. But then in reality how much will I play a jazz over my other two basses.... so I should just keep what I have.... see the dilemma