Why become a member? ×

BYOC compressor

GarethFlatlands

I've decided that I need a compressor and was looking at the BYOC stuff as I've wanted to build a pedal for ages and I've got a few days off work next week in which to do so. There seems like 3 different types, 5 knob, classic (both based on the Ross compressor) and optical. Does anyone have any thoughts as to which one would suit bass best or first hand experience with any of them?

Yeah, I'm a RAT fan and have been considering a Mighty Mouse build for ages but this seemed like a more sensible choice as I have 4 fuzz/distortion pedals already, including a modded RAT.

If anyone wants a review, let me know what settings to try and what to listen out for as I'm going to get my bandmate to set it up for me as the nuances of compression confuse me immensely.

Built! My first pedal build so it took a long time, 4 hours+. Made a couple of mistakes and had to wrestle with the unclear instructions near the end, as well as a slightly too high up drill hole for the footswitch. Learnt a lot through the mistakes though.

Threw a 9 volt in, plugged it into the POD and... nothing. Bypass was fine, no sound with the pedal on. Massive panic averted when I realised I'd set both controls to zero, including the volume. Duh. It sounded pretty good with the guitar as my bass was at the practice room, look forward to giving it a proper try out next practice.

• 1 month later...

Got it from the UK distributor, Vibe o Tronic. Had a couple of rehearsals with it and gigged with it last night, controls set and forget at 1 and 11 o'clock respectively. Sounded really nice and kept my volume even when I was playing softly and when I dug in a little. Not the most advanced in terms of controls but it works for me. It's definately staying on the board.