Why become a member? ×

BOUGHT ONE OF THESE

bertbass

[size=5][font=times new roman,times,serif]I bought one of these, JAM KAT PICK HOLDER SPRING LOADED GUITAR PLECTRUM, from,

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370568498294?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648"]http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2648[/url]

The company that makes them is here, www.pick-smith.com

Ordered it yesterday, Friday and it arrived today, Saturday. I'm impressed.

I've tried it quickly and it seems pretty good, I'll try it properly at tonight's gig and give you a full report tomorrow.[/font][/size]

Edited by bertbass

Hmm not a bad idea.

I play finger style but sometimes revert back to pick style for more attack or variation for some phrases.... the only thing is I don't use plectrums on bass so I instead use my index finger nail which has subsequently become paper thin because of the unusual wear it gets.

I can't see me wearing one of these though.

Suffer the same problem with thin finger nails. I know it's because of the way that I hold my pick. My index finger hits the string at the same time as the pick. I glue on a false finger nail. The false nail wears away and my real nail stays unworn. until I forget to glue one on that is. I know that I should try and change the way I hold my pick, but after 45 years it's a bit difficult.

Oh how I wanted this to be good. Unfortunately it's crap! My pick, a Jim Dunlop 1mm nylon, didn't really fit as it has rounded edges, a square edged pick seems to fit well. While showing the guitarist what a great gadget I'd found, my pick went flying across the stage. Embarrassed or what. I put the pick back in the holder and put it on top of my amp for later. Later came half way through the first set. I remembered it and stuck it gingerly on my finger. Played the song. Half way through I felt the pick coming out of the holder again but struggled on. The song finished and I had a look. As I let go of the pick, not only did it fall out but the whole thing broke in half. I think I may be sending it back. At least I tried it. It may well work for players less heavy handed than me and I still think it's a good idea.

I must admit I took one look at the pic and thought 'that'll never work'. it looks like someone tried to solve the wrong problem - if you want a loop to anchor the plec to your finger, the loop should be solidy attached to the plec. Perhaps the designer should have come up with a plec with the Heath Robinson / rube Goldberg bits integral to it - like a thumbpick or a variation of one. This contraption looks daft.

doesn't the bassist in the hamsters use a thumbpick as he has a hand problem?

I gave it try before taking it out of the house and it seemed to work OK but obviously I wasn't as 'aggressive' as I am on stage. Squaring the edges of my picks might well solve the problem, but what a pain and I like the sound of the picks so changing them is not an option. Found out why if fell in half. I'd been squeezing it to try to get the pick to be a better fit and this bent the bit that holds the pick in and the bit that fits onto the ring that goes on your finger out, so the tiny plastic pins that fit in the holes of bit that fits on the finger popped out. Does that make sense? If you look st the picture of it it makes sense.

I shall put it back together and give it another go.

Tried a thumb pick once but the different material made my bass sound totally different. It was also before they made left handed ones so had to heat it over the gas ring and bend it to shape.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1325950208' post='1490258']
Hmm not a bad idea.

I play finger style but sometimes revert back to pick style for more attack or variation for some phrases.... the only thing is I don't use plectrums on bass so I instead use my index finger nail which has subsequently become paper thin because of the unusual wear it gets.

I can't see me wearing one of these though.
[/quote]

Jan Ackerman used to build up his thumbnail for use as a pick with epoxy resin!