Why become a member? ×

FS: Sandberg Bullet Custom Fretless SOLD PENDING

guybrush threepwood

I bought this new from PMT Leeds about 6 months ago, but it just hasn't had the use it deserves! As I bought voxpop's Clover 6 string a couple of days ago I've decided to enforce a one-in, one-out policy and re-list this.

Anyway onto the bass. This is an absolute corker of a fretless; it plays beautifully, feels comfy and light, looks gorgeous, is built incredibly well and (most importantly) sounds fantastic. It's also in brand new condition, and has never been gigged (I didn't do enough practice with it!)

So to the specs... It's a maple neck, rosewood board and nut, mahogany back with an exotic wood top, which I think is bubinga, but then I'm not too sure... If anyone knows their woods please correct me, however it is pretty! :rolleyes: The pickup is an humbucking soapbar, with 3-band EQ, and active/passive toggle on the volume pot.

The sound is very Jaco at the bridge, but due to the humbucker it has a little bit more authority and bottom end. However, the EQ can muster up many different tones, and with the right hand towards the neck it really moves into upright territory, with beautiful dynamic swells.

It's currently strung with Chromes flats, but don't think this means that it's missing 'mwah' - it still sings out beautifully.

Unfortunately I'm not willing to courier this as I only have the gigbag it came with; although this is very well padded I wouldn't want to risk it. However, I am willing to drop off for petrol money, or possibly meet halfway. Otherwise collection from Leeds would be great, and I'm in Leicestershire most weekends too.

Sound clips are [url="http://soundcloud.com/organicharris/sandberg-fretless-bass"]here[/url], please excuse the terrible intonation. :) There are 3 different lines played, the first is over the pickup, the second is towards the neck and the third is on the neck. All lines are played twice; once with the preamp bypassed, and the second time with a slight bass, mid and treble boost.

Edited by guybrush threepwood

Hi, I am looking for 'The Fretless' to add to my collection. This one looks pristine. Are you sure the body wood is Mahagony? I didn't know it had stripes like that. Are there any audio recordings of this bass available? Are there any markers on the top side of the neck? How easy would it be to convert this to a lined fretless? Thanks, Vic.

Edited by TorVic

Hi Vic, sorry for my slow reply - I've been away and received no notification that anyone had posted on this! Regarding the body wood, I'm not too sure - I was going on the spec for the 'Bullet Special' on the Sandberg site which this seems to be based on.

There are dot markers for the usual frets, and these fall where the fretlines would be. I'm sure any decent luthier wouldn't find it too hard to put some fretlines in, but I have no idea how much it would cost.

I'll get some recordings done early next week and post them on this thread.

I've also been asked by message what the neck profile is like - I'd say it's nice and skinny like a jazz, and also quite slim front to back. These measurements, coupled with the satin finish make it a very fast feeling neck!

Anyway, dropped the price a bit, now £300 off what I bought it for and it's in exactly the same condition!

• 1 month later...