Why become a member? ×

Hi from Wiltshire

GregHughes

Evening everyone,

Been reading up loads on the forum but thought I would say hi.

My names Greg, used play bass in a few bands a number of years ago but decided to get back into it after a number of year break last summer. Even though I used to play a lot been starting right from the basics as really wanted to learn my craft this time round.

Had a bit of a bonus so started off with a new American Fender Delux 4 string Jazz bass with a 40 watt Bronco practice amp to give me a good range of tone. Since then found myself slightly addicted to guitars and have just recently purchased a new Music Man 4 Eq Stingray.

Loving both basses but I must admit that the MM wins for tone although the Jazz has a much thinner, faster neck so enjoying both.

Mostly learning funk/slap bass at the moment as find that most the enjoyable/challenging although enjoy playing most styles.

There is so much to learn!!!

Welcome :)

I'm a fan of the MM - have a Warwick Thumb myself (4 string B.O.) but I have a soft spot for the really 'fat' sound of the MM and it was a hard choice (I couldn't afford both!)

Just wondering as you're learning 'the craft' whether you were taking lessons and how you were getting on if you were?

Hi lowdowner, Warwick Thumb was the bass I always wanted when I first started playing in my youth but didn't have the funds then.

When I first came back to bass last year at first the Warwick was what I still wanted but after doing more research the Fender Jazz won my over but the Warwick is still on my want list.

I'm not having lessons as I can't afford them as I have some other hobbies which take up most of my spare pocket money but have bought a few books and found loads of good stuff on the internet.

I'm trying to be focused and disciplined on practice sessions but I must admit I find scales, chords etc a bit boring and tend to get bored after about 10 mins then just start jamming. There's no time scale on my learning to be honest so not really that concerned although I know that there is such a thing as bad practice so I've just invested in a drum machine so at least I use that all the time. Concentrating on funk/slap bass as this is my passion. I'm also finding that I'm having to re learn things as I'd picked up some bad habits from my last stint on the bass as I didn't have any lessons or theory just played in bands. There wasn't any internet in those days so it was much harder to get access to information without having formal lessons.

I've not totally discounted lessons but just put them on ice at the moment and see how I get on.

How about you?