Why become a member? ×

What to do?

basshead56

Hi guys.
First off, Merry Christmas to all of you here on BC, hope you had a great one!

Ok, so I am currently in the 'basses are like buses' situation again.
I'm in the market for a bass I can bring with me if I have to head overseas to OZ, and not worry too much if something happens to it.
I just bid on (and won) a Mark Hoppus P Bass in Seafoam Green- the older model, not the new one, thank god (I just mean the new green colour sucks, I'm actually quite keen to try the new one to see what the pup rotation sounds like!).
Anyways, no sooner have I forked out than a walk into the local music shop puts me in two minds again! Hanging on the wall, as part of a trade in, a korean reissue Danelectro DC in silver sparkle!

Now, i paid very little money for the Fender (198 pounds to be exact!), so im not skint, but I can't own both for a number of reasons-transport when i leave NZ being the biggest argument against it-as I already have a 77 Precision and a Victor Bailey Acoustic to worry about.

I already have a Pink MH sig P back in Ireland, and I LOVE the sound of it, plus it's the lightest bass I own! Have done 100s of gigs with it and never had an issue.

BUT.......

I have always wanted a DC! They look and sound so unique! And I have been looking for one for bloody ages. AND In typical fashion, I find one in a shop in the middle of nowhere when all I went in for was some picks-not even considering another GAS-attack!

So Poll Time:
What would you guys go with
a) keep the Fender
B) trade it in for the Dano
c) none of the above!

Thanks in advance guys,
and have a Happy New Year!
Col

There`s a lot to be said about having the same type of bass, mainly on the eq side.

But, if something crops up that you`ve always wanted, and by the comments I`m assuming these are quite rare too, I think go for the DC. If you don`t, you`ll most likely not set eyes one one again for a while, and really regret not snapping this one up.

Well, the gods have spoken. picked up the MH Precision the other day. It was immaculate, save for a tiny ding/chip on the upper bout by the strap pin. Sounded wicked-as they do! The guy even threw in a 30w amp, cables, strap and Hercules stand. So went to the place where the DC was a-hangin' on the wall and asked about a trade.
The owner offered me the DC and 250 NZD (125quid)- result!!! I was not going to argue, considering I only paid less than 200 quid for it! Now, I know he'll get a fair bit more for it when he re-sells it, but I'm not bothered: I've got a great deal- an 'always wanted one' bass for abot 75 quid!.
He chucked on some new Dunlop strings, polished it up and off I went on my merry way-straight home to plug her in and crank it!

I LOVE the Danelectro DC, it's light, has a super-thin and fast neck and looks amazing-loving the cheap plastick stack knobs, one's black with white cap, the other's the opposite-classic! Oh yeah and the best bit, it sounds fantastic-the EXACT sound I was after for what I'm doing down here at the mo!
I'll try and get some pics up soon.
Thanks to all you guys for advice-as always, it has been greatly appreciated :)