Why become a member? ×

Anyone an expert on early 80s Wal electronics?

Clarky

I have been offered a rather nice looking Wal fretless from 1981. The owner has stated that the bass (which has a serial beginning PB18xx) is "a full grown Mach 1 nonetheless, one of the early ones with the volume pot switching “off”)". I am awaiting clarification as to what this means along with additional pictures. In the mean time do any of the Wal experts on BC know if the early Mach 1 basses had essentially the same electronics as those found in later Mach 1 and then Mach 2 basses? This is vital to me as its the electronics that are the main tonal factor that distinguishes these basses from all others. Thus all thoughts gratefully received.

Try this link:

[url="http://www.trevorandthea.eclipse.co.uk/history1.html"]http://www.trevorand...k/history1.html[/url]

If you read the last paragraph and interpolate a bit, it looks like the electronics were established in around 1978. If you then follow the '80's link at the bottom of the page you get some info about transitional instruments like the one you're interested in.

Edited by leftybassman392

Many thanks for the link. It appears the bass in question was one of the last handful of Pro Bass series made. Visually it looks identical to a Mach 1 with the surface mounted controls. I'm still not 100% certain the electronics are the same as for a standard Mach 1 or 2, though - albeit it seems likely

It turns out (from the Wal database) that the late, great Mick Karn's tulipwood 'Mach 1' fretless is in fact also a transition bass with a PB (Pro Series) serial number. Hence I have no qualms about how the (hopefully incoming) fretless will sound

The americans started that mach thing . Maybe they pronounce "mach" as "mark"? .
The bass will be normal custom electronics but probably wont have the trim pot for the tones like the later ones (unless it's been to the factory and they've been retro fitted) But will still have the output level and pick attack trims.
Had a couple with the on /off switch it's a cool ,rare feature .
I've found the necks from 81-82 era generallty feel slimmer too ,so sounds like a nice bass.
They sometimes have the silver transition period bridge too.

Edited by walplayer

[quote name='alanbass1' timestamp='1325512047' post='1483750']
Nice Clarky - when does she arrive?
[/quote]

It depends on how quickly banks transfer money and how quickly the seller ships from Germany - best guess is late next week. Can't wait!