Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN

Skezza

I have a workingmans 10 combo which if I turn it past half volume makes farting noises whilst still reproducing the notes I am playing.

I assumed it was the speaker and was just about to buy a new one when I decide to try mu EA I amps 500 head through it as a cab and it worked fine up to quite high volumes.

So perhaps its not the speaker

Im confused

skez

Edited by Skezza

Worth taking note of Bill's past threads on here
Sounds like you are driving the pre or power amp into distortion, which ultimately is going to be bad for the speaker, clipping/square waving the signal. Most single 10" combos are not capable of much more than private practice and small combo low volume gigs(jazz,folk). I have mentioned before, I once bought the Ampeg B1 combo 150w into a 1 x 12" lovely bit of kit sounded great but was limited to a specific music level, room - audience size. I was trying to do function band gigs up to civic hall sizes yet it could not hold its own at loud 4 piece practises. It took me too long to admit to myself this was the wrong kit for the job. I now fully appreciate what head room really means and cone surface area required to compete with other instruments in a band and deliver my bass parts to the audience.
Try rolling off some bass and using the mids to carry your sound, it may not be the tone you want but Bass is amp hungry and this trick may get you through a gig or two. I also got me a Peavey 15" +2x8" cab for larger gigs and this cab enabled the ampeg to cope at larger gigs.

Good luck

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1325004186' post='1479041']

Sounds like you are driving the pre or power amp into distortion, which ultimately is going to be bad for the speaker, clipping/square waving the signal.
[/quote]Point of fact, clipping has no effect on a woofer. It can result in over-powering a tweeter.

[quote name='Skezza' timestamp='1325011195' post='1479109']
the bass is active.
[/quote]Make sure you aren't clipping the input. Turn the bass down and the amp up. If the amp has a master volume run that high and the input gain low for maximum headroom.

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

If there is no input gain level knob on the amp, then use the bass volume knob.

Do this. Turn the amp volume knob up all the way, then plug in the bass with the volume knob(s) turned all the way down. Then, gradually turn the volume knobs on the amp up until it gets to the "farting thing", then turn the volume knob(s) down just down below that level.

There you go.

Edited by mercuryl

[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1325005977' post='1479060']
Usually means you are maxing out the input gain. Are you using an effects pedal in front of it? Or are you using an active bass or some other bass with a very high output? Other than that, Deepbass5's comments above about a small amp's general capabilities are relevant.
No pedals

[/quote]
[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1325016871' post='1479194']
Make sure you aren't clipping the input. Turn the bass down and the amp up. If the amp has a master volume run that high and the input gain low for maximum headroom.
[/quote]
[quote name='mercuryl' timestamp='1325018180' post='1479207']
If there is no input gain level knob on the amp, then use the bass volume knob.

Do this. Turn the amp volume knob up all the way, then plug in the bass with the volume knob(s) turned all the way down. Then, gradually turn the volume knobs on the amp up until it gets to the "farting thing", then turn the volume knob(s) down just down below that level.

Yes that seems to work cheers

skez

There you go.
[/quote]

I wouldn't take the amp volume all the way up, that leaves the door open to an untimely accident. Experiment with the bass volume. Turn the amp down to a low level, bring the bass volume up until you hear the clipping. Back the bass volume off enough to eliminate the clipping, then bring the amp volume up to playing level.

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' timestamp='1325022937' post='1479264']
I wouldn't take the amp volume all the way up, that leaves the door open to an untimely accident. Experiment with the bass volume. Turn the amp down to a low level, bring the bass volume up until you hear the clipping. Back the bass volume off enough to eliminate the clipping, then bring the amp volume up to playing level.
[/quote]

+1