Why become a member? ×

Reconing Compact 3015?

cytania

OK, theory of the week for my buzzing cab is that I've blown the driver. Need to take the Compact apart to confirm this but I've a feeling doing this at the weekend will be judged unconducive to festive atmosphere :rolleyes:

Any tips on what I'm looking for visually? Scorching or could it just be a subtle crease in the cone?

If I discover the worst is it worth reconing? Can't find an exact match on Blue Aran, this looks closest;

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=EMIKAPPA15ARK&browsemode=manufacturer

The other option is to go the whole hog, cut out the fiddly bit and fit a whole new Eminence 3015. Anyone done this?

What gets me is I'd describe myself as pretty careful with the volume. Is there any way of protecting speakers? I see Eminence have a product called D-Fend that replaces 'lamps' whatever they were?

Push on the cone an see if it feels scratchy when it moves in and out, that is the sign of a deformed voice coil and might give you noise. The other possibles are loose wire, either as an electrical contact, or touching the cone.

You'll need the exact right recone kit, best email eminence direct.

It is pretty tough to overpower a Kappalite in a Compact, so likely is some other issue. Try messaging Barefaced, Alex might be curious about what you've managed to do. Got a circumstance that let to the problem?

Thanks Foxen, emailed Alex back and forth last week and we tried a few things. He mentioned moving the cone and I can't feel any grating. Ran out of time to remove the driver and loon inside though.

Your loose wire idea is a good one. I'll try to get a look inside somehow, festive duties permitting.

How about checking the two little braided wires that travel from the speaker terminals to the cone assembly.
Ideally they should be positioned in such a way that the only contact between the wire and the cone is right on the end of the wire.

Sometimes there is enough slack on those two little wires that they can lay partially flattened against the cone - that can produce a nasty little buzz...

Sometimes speakers go open circuit and the only way to know that is to measure it. There may be no other clues at all.
No coil rubbing, no damage to the cone..etc etc ..!!

The way to do this might just be too much power through a chassis which I thought was unlikely
or the speaker might have been a fault in waiting.
Mine was covered by warranty of up to a year from purchase.

If it was open circuit though, the speaker wouldn't show any life at all. IMO.

Edited by JTUK

Many thanks for the replies, particularly Alex's, very reassuring to know I can get it reconed by someone who really understands it.

Barefaced are an utterly brilliant outfit. I like the way that the Compact is actually built in a way that will allow me to check the insides out. Just need to find time to do it. Anything non-obvious I'll take photos.