Why become a member? ×

Best compressor to buy?

Murph_Orpheus

[quote name='Murph_Orpheus' post='166112' date='Mar 29 2008, 09:14 PM']Just wondering if anyone has any advice on the best compressor to buy for a rack system? I'm building up my first rack so I'm slowly learning about it all! I've been advised to get the Alesis 3630 Kompressor so far. Anyone know if its any good? Cheers.

Dave.[/quote]

Focusrite compounder is very clean, check this page out though....

[url="http://www.ev-b.com/compressors.html"]http://www.ev-b.com/compressors.html[/url]

I have a 1U 2ch dbx compressor (I think a 266 or something?) that I used to use gigging, but now I can't be @rsed to keep carrying it about for the small gigs I tend to play.

Good controls, but I find it is really susceptible to noise. I tried recording our band in a "live" situation in a rehearsal room with it on my bass and had to unplug it as there was so much noise. Without, there was none.

It may be a fault on mine as it does get a bit kicked about (don't currently have it in a rack), but I thought I'd mention the experience.

I suspect it just doesn't like dirty power supplies (or other sh@gged backline on the same feed!) and doesn't have much in the way of suppression, shielding or filters.

The only units I have personally used enough to comment on are the Compounder and the Behringer MDX1600 (which is good value and fairly tasteful at lower ratios - gets a bit knarly cranked-up)

I've heard good things about the DBX 166, and even better things aboth the 160 but that's very pricey...

If you haven't spent some time with one, I wouldn't spend too much money (and on that basis the 3630 is obviously a possibility)
There will be plenty more suggestions though, I'm sure...

[quote name='Murph_Orpheus' post='167854' date='Apr 1 2008, 07:19 PM']I've ended up going with the Behringer MDX2600 Composer Pro XL after reading good reviews about it. I guess it can be hit and miss with compressors depending on what you're looking for. This is going to be my first one so I'll see how I get on :)[/quote]

ooooh i just got one of these today to try out off a friend. Haven't had a chance to try it out - not a fan of behringer stuff but I thought I will give it a go and see if it works for me!!