Why become a member? ×

Changing the pups in my Fender Standard JazzBass V, recommendations?

mr bassie

Ay up

I'm thinking about changing the pickups in my American Standard Jazz Bass V, I'd like something a bit more defined and less noisy. I'd describe the sound I'm going for as dubby

I play with flatwounds into a sansamp rbi and out through a ampeg 4x10

I'm looking at Fralins, Nordies, Aroes, DiMarzio..

suggestions welcomed

I had the DiMarzios, and they were really quiet ( as regards noise), and really nice. Slightly oversized, so I had to chisel the routings a couple of mm's to slot them in.

Some people have reported that these don't have as mush 'bite' as other replacement pups, so that might be a good thing for you, can't say I noticed all that much of a drop in the punch of my bass, but ti did sound an awful lot better than the stock squier pups.

HTH.

Wizzard pups get good reviews on here.
I had not heard of then until i bought a Shuker 5 on here with them on. excellent sound and they can over wind them etc. and within reason spec each one to how you want it to sound. I would certanly specify them on on any relacement or new bass i Order.

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Your list looks good. Fralin and Nordstrand would be my first 2, followed by Bartolini and [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][size=4]Delano[/size][/size][/font][/color][size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial].[/font][/color][/size]

Cheers, obviously my ability to hear stuff is somewhat limited with pickups so suggestions are useful

the Fralins have excellent reviews, I guess I would notice a significant change in sound from the stocks - but can anyone vaguely describe it?

Also the Fralins will drop right in, correct?

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1324056819' post='1470453']
Wizzard pups get good reviews on here.
I had not heard of then until i bought a Shuker 5 on here with them on. excellent sound and they can over wind them etc. and within reason spec each one to how you want it to sound. I would certanly specify them on on any relacement or new bass i Order.
[/quote]

That also sounds like a good suggestion - never heard of wizzard, I'll check through the forum, they're well within my budget and based in the UKthe specification sounds interesting, do they do it with the fit as well as the sound? I'm reluctant to take a chisel to my bass