Why become a member? ×

bending bridge!

Tomash

Hi All,

My bridge is looking a bit dodgy, and I'd hate for it to pack up on me at an inopportune moment.

Where would be the place to buy a replacement of a reasonable quality, and what should I expect to pay?
I'd quite like to have adjusters fitted, but not sure if I would pay the extra for that at this time of the year.

Alternatively, is it possible to straighten a warped bridge? I recently loosened the strings off in the hope that it would straighten up with the release of the stress, but it didn't. It's on a 3/4 upright.

Thanks
Tom

Where are you based Tom? Yes, bridges will do that. Which way is it bending? My guess may be up?

I think my new bridge cost about £80-100 fitted including the price of the bridge using a good luthier. Alternatively, there is quite a bit on tinterweb about installing a bridge if you feel adventuresome :) Just make sure if you do this that you keep your sound post from falling, otherwise it gets tricky.

Bass bridges aren't cheap. Expect to spend £50 as a minimum for a blank (plus fitting) - my (as with many other luthiers) fitting cost varies with the quality of the instrument... As you'll appreciate, there's little point in spending 5 hours fitting a bridge to a £500 bass!

If there's little or no movement in the fingerboard (action changes summer to winter) there's no need for adjusters. Each set I've come into contact with has reduced the response of the instrument. Just get the bridge cut EXACTLY how YOU want it, then leave well alone and enjoy.

The only ways to "straighten" a bridge are:
1: Steam - I've never had success on a bass bridge - works OK on violins/violas, but it's a relatively short term fix even then... 6 months later, and it'll be well on the way to being back where it started. Upshot: not worth the bother!
2: Re-thicknessing - If your existing bridge is a bit on the thick side, and hasn't gone too far, it may be possible to re-profile it (effectively "sand" the warp out) This has the effect of reducing mass in the bridge, brightening tone and quickening response, but makes the bridge more fragile. (It seems a lot of bass bridges are left intentionally thick to withstand bashes and bumps in transport etc.)

Best advice is to keep the string grooves lubricated with candle wax or dry soap, and push the top of the bridge back down when you're tuning... It's then that the top of the bridge is pulled toward the fingerboard, and the off-centre pressure from the string tension starts the warp.

[b][quote name='fonzoooroo' timestamp='1323935618' post='1468758'][/b]

Best advice is to keep the string grooves lubricated with candle wax or dry soap, and push the top of the bridge back down when you're tuning... It's then that the top of the bridge is pulled toward the fingerboard, and the off-centre pressure from the string tension starts the warp.
[/quote]

Ahah! (sound of penny dropping) Many thanks for that.

[quote name='fonzoooroo' timestamp='1323935618' post='1468758']Best advice is to keep the string grooves lubricated with candle wax or dry soap, and push the top of the bridge back down when you're tuning... It's then that the top of the bridge is pulled toward the fingerboard, and the off-centre pressure from the string tension starts the warp.[/quote]

The occasional "karate chop" can help combat warpage too. :)

Morning,

Thanks for the responses - All of the above apply to me: The bridge is bending upwards - I have never lubricated the bridge - and, like Sarah Thomas, the penny has dropped! Thanks for the advice about the adjusters. I thought they might come in useful if I changed strings to lower tension in the future as I have a low action. It's not a particularly loud bass, so I guess I should stick to the same type of bridge.

I actually live close to Bridgewood and Neitzert in Stoke Newington, so maybe I'll just bite the bullet and go there. I'll take the bent bridge with me for sizing. Not sure I'd get them to fit it as they wanted £90 to fit a Fishman full circle. Should be able to find a nice bit of time over the holiday to fit it myself, though I hope the soundpost stays put!

Thanks
Tom

Golihurmusic.com does a very nice adjustable bridge for £40 -ish plus postage and deliver very quickly from the states. Got mine from them and had a luthier fit it.

imo adjustable is worth the small amount extra it costs, and handy if you think you might later want to try the much praised Full Circle pickup.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1323938864' post='1468790']
The occasional "karate chop" can help combat warpage too. :)
[/quote]

And preferably with the strings slightly detuned and chopping as you re-tension them. I use the spine of a paperback to hit the top of the bridge with. I carry a 6B pencil in my wire bag to lubricate the slot if I have to change a string.