Why become a member? ×

Nealry killed my SC's valves!!!!

Pow_22

Im taking my SC in for a full service soon but as it hadnt been fired up for a few weeks i thought id give it a blast this weekend. I set it up in the spare room and flicked it onto stand by while i had a brew and let the valves all warm. Came back in, plugged the bass in and flicked on the power......nothing happened, no noise, no nothing. I looked in and all the EL34's were glowing niceley....i couldnt fathom out what was wrong. Then i checked the back......id put the jack lead for the cab into the Effects Loop input and not the Cabs socket. I quickly switched it off (even tho im a valve newbie i know never to turn on an amp with no load). Anyway, i re-connected the lead correctly and tentively switched it all back on. The amp is working fine now but having had it on standby with no load for a good 20 mins im wondering what damage i could have done to it? Its going in for a service soon and i may well be taking up Mr Foxton on a great offer of some EL34's but just wondering what damage i could have done to the amp

Haha of course i meant you Oli! So effectively i had the lead plugged into the cab socket on the back of the amp but not had the other end attached to anything then that wouldve been bad - as opposed to basically having the amp completely unattached?

From the OP's first post my interpreation of

[quote]flicked it onto stand by while i had a brew and let the valves all warm. Came back in, plugged the bass in and[b] flicked on the power[/b]......nothing happened,[/quote]

is that it was fully powered with no speaker attached. Hope it's OK.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1323706754' post='1466059']
No speaker on a valve amp normally means burnt out output transformer very quickly. You're very lucky.
[/quote]

[quote name='umph' timestamp='1323707062' post='1466064']
not really if he didn't take it out of standby it wont hurt it.
[/quote]

OP says the bass was plugged in, but doesn't say he played it so far as I've noticed; if he'd hit a note it & had it out of standby it could have been curtains; I've known some folk get away with it & put it down to superior Partridge tranny build. But I've been reliably informed by some valve amp techs that an amp without cabs plugged in isn't in any danger until a load is put on the amp - ie. you try to play through it.
It's been covered umpteen times on here & other forums.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1323715499' post='1466203']
OP says the bass was plugged in, but doesn't say he played it so far as I've noticed; if he'd hit a note it & had it out of standby it could have been curtains; I've known some folk get away with it & put it down to superior Partridge tranny build. But I've been reliably informed by some valve amp techs that an amp without cabs plugged in isn't in any danger until a load is put on the amp - ie. you try to play through it.
It's been covered umpteen times on here & other forums.
[/quote]

This is true. pretty much the only way you blow output transformers