Why become a member? ×

Connecting it all up

Walker

I've just got my first 'seperates' rig after working with a PJB combo.
Ive just spent an hour reading through the impedance pinned post. I think I get it.

My head is a MarkBass TTE500, 500w@4 ohms, 300w @ 8ohms.
Ive got two Vanderkley 112MNT's, 8 ohms.

The head has two Speakon outs.

Should I run one cable into each cab or can I run into one cab and then from the first cab into the second and still get my 500w? It's the series / parallel thing that's confusing me!

Cheers

Chris

You can wire it up either way and the end result will be the same - two cabs in parallel giving a load of 4 ohms to the head.

It's very unsual for cabs to be wired in series and if a cab has two "input" jacks on it then they will invariably be wired in parallel so that when you daisy-chain to another cab the result is parallel wiring.

If you daisy-chain, then note that ALL of the power goes through the first speaker cable. If you use both outputs on the amp then half the power goes to each speaker cable. This should not be a problem if you use good speaker cables.

It's realy down to you - whichever you prefer and is more convenient.

[size=4]Just cable up, either from the head or daily chain the cabs. I always do the latter and I've never had a speaker cable fail in decades. [/size]

[size=4]As long as your cables are commercially made and not any "special order" they will be right. [/size]