Why become a member? ×

Fretless Jazz Strings????

Jobiebass

Im sorry for posting this, but ive looked all over, read the sticky for strings and im still no closer to finding strings i like.

I love Flats on fretless, Ive tried rotosound flats, rotosound Jazz bass Flats, and im still not happy. the strings sound far far too dull.

Im after a string with lots of sustain, flats as not to rip my fingers to pieces and the fretboard, and bright. surely its not too much to ask??

Chrisdabass sold me his 'ray with Elixrs and they are fantastic, if they were just flats instead of round id buy 2 lots for my jazz and my project p.

any help would be great, i dont mind spending a lot on strings as long as they sound great.

thanks in advance

I very much like the D'Addario Chromes on my fretless Jazz.
good sustain but couldn't use the word bright to describe the sound.
If I want a little twang I back off the neck pick up a little and just hit harder and closer to the bridge.
it's a vaguely acceptable sound.

Thomastik flats are great, if you can get on with the odd guages and floppy feel - I find that just moving the action up a bit makes them play really nicely. I also tried the Status black nylon wrapped strings and they are also fantastic, if a bit floppy. They certainly won't damage a soft fingerboard.

BB