Why become a member? ×

Earplug. replacing Alpine MusicSafe Pro

TheBear

Hi,

It's time for me to replace my Alpine MusicSafe pro set.
I could buy the same set, however, I think it's good to look around before :)

Has anyone any recommandations? I'm not moving yet to molded earplug, so I'll take any recommandations on "standard kits"

Thanks,
Chris

[quote name='TheBear' timestamp='1323591234' post='1464704']
Hi,

It's time for me to replace my Alpine MusicSafe pro set.
I could buy the same set, however, I think it's good to look around before :)

Has anyone any recommandations? I'm not moving yet to molded earplug, so I'll take any recommandations on "standard kits"

Thanks,
Chris
[/quote]

I can certainly appreciate the expense in moving to moulded plugs verses standard. But standard plugs cannot compensate for the exact shape of your ear canal and may not give you a total seal and thereby the necessary protection. That has been my experience. Moulded are the only way to go if your serious about protecting your hearing.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1323639930' post='1465385']
I can certainly appreciate the expense in moving to moulded plugs verses standard. But standard plugs cannot compensate for the exact shape of your ear canal and may not give you a total seal and thereby the necessary protection. That has been my experience. Moulded are the only way to go if your serious about protecting your hearing.
[/quote]

Hi Leroy,
I see where you're coming from and I agree that moulded plugs do seem to be the way to go. A guy who was the drummer in the last band I played in had a really bad case of Tinnitus, and he ended up giving up playing his drums (& leaving the band) because it was so bad. The good news was that he ended up getting a set of moulded plugs and it changed his life in the respect of playing his drums again. He'll obviously never lose his Tinnitus but he's well chuffed that he can play his drums again in a band.

As soon as I've got the readies, I'll be looking at doing the same.

Cheers,
Louis

[quote name='TheBear' timestamp='1323720592' post='1466284']
@leroydiamond: I can't disagree with you. But well, i must wait a bit for 180 euros :)

@Louis: I'll thus renew with the same set :)
[/quote]

Yea 180 euro is a significant outlay for sure. However would you give 180 euro for a a top class bass amp or your dream bass guitar? without a doubt you would. Now ask yourself this question. If you suffered significant hearing loss and/or tinnitus would you pay 180 euro to make a full recovery?. Well hears the deal, once your hearing is damaged its damaged forever. No amount of money will undo the damage. i would give every last penny i have to rid myself of hearing loss and tinnitus that has been self induced as a result of playing bass without the proper hearing protection. i used standard plugs thinking i was protecting my hearing. I was fooling myself. Now i use ACS moulded plugs and these have allowed me to retain the hearing I have left and continue to gig. Proper moulded plugs are the best equipment any musician can buy and should be an essential tool for all musicians exposed to loud music. The thing is you really need to get them before you damage your hearing.

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1323810670' post='1467468']
Yea 180 euro is a significant outlay for sure. However would you give 180 euro for a a top class bass amp or your dream bass guitar? without a doubt you would. Now ask yourself this question. If you suffered significant hearing loss and/or tinnitus would you pay 180 euro to make a full recovery?. Well hears the deal, once your hearing is damaged its damaged forever. No amount of money will undo the damage. i would give every last penny i have to rid myself of hearing loss and tinnitus that has been self induced as a result of playing bass without the proper hearing protection. i used standard plugs thinking i was protecting my hearing. I was fooling myself. Now i use ACS moulded plugs and these have allowed me to retain the hearing I have left and continue to gig. Proper moulded plugs are the best equipment any musician can buy and should be an essential tool for all musicians exposed to loud music. The thing is you really need to get them before you damage your hearing.
[/quote]

This +1000

I wouldn't buy an amp until I had some moulded plugs. I love my music and intend it to be part of my life til i'm too old to pick up a bass. Having a proper set of plugs that gives a very even reduction across all frequencies means you can wear them at concerts and other bands gigs too without compromising the quality of the sound so you'll wear them there too.

Don't mean to preach but using off the shelf plugs is like riding a motorbike with a bicycle helmet. Yeah it'll give a little protection but if your life depended on it you'd be a worried man.