Why become a member? ×

Jazz Bass !

bass12345

I've recently started getting into the Jazz kind of genre for bass, have been doing a lot of motown and funk latley. Thing is i don't know what to choose ? I mean its such a big category right ?
Also getting the dots for them is driving me Mental !

If anyone can find me the sheets i dont really bother with tabs that would be soo helpful, ALOT Helpful :)

Cheers Guys

Fire the suggestions at me xD

most guys that play jazz have really good levels of levels of improvisation. I think this could come from a lack of dots and the need to fully understand harmony. The best thing to do is to get Mark Levine Jazz Theory book and start transcribing. Then once you have a good idea of how guys and girls can do it, you can start improvising your own walking lines. A lesson from a decent teacher can also go along way

If you want to learn melodies, get hold of the real book

I play with a talented jazz pianist. He once said to me 'the more you play with the writen music the less you are able to play without it'.
When we bring a new song in (recently 'Georgia on my mind') we play from the dots until we've solidly learned it. Then we put away the music, and in general[i] never look at it again.[/i]