Why become a member? ×

Hotel California - please don't groan!

burgundymouse

I've only been playing bass for year and up until 6 weeks ago certainly couldn't sing and play bass at the same time (some may argue I still can't!) but I was rather proud of this being a relative beginnner. Even better, I bought the P-Bass from a fellow Bass chatter - I am now very very unfaithful to my Jazz.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPtFSTHLkDU&feature=youtu.be"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPtFSTHLkDU&feature=youtu.be[/url]

<Groooan>
:)
Seriously, though, I don`t usually comment on these, as I have no tact and I tend to piss people off, but, this seems to be a pretty acceptable rendition! (see what I mean?)
You are doing fine for the amount of time spent on the instrument, and your singing is better than many a band I`ve had to listen to.
If I had to make a suggestion,it would be to concentrate now on your rhythm,and practice playing what the kik drum is doing.Especially on chorus parts.
This would help to lift the song when it needed it, and give a little more dynamic range to what you are doing.
It`s difficult at first, I know I`ve gone through it, but once it starts to click, you`ll never look back.
Good luck.
MM

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1323034874' post='1458590']
this seems to be a pretty acceptable rendition! (see what I mean?)
[/quote]
I'll bank that!
My timing can be shocking sometimes - my teacher has me practising with a metronone but I end up tuning it out .....not good.
All hlpful comments gratefully received especially by people who maybe have a better ear for this stuff than me.

Try and get those root-five-octave parts going from the original bass part, they make the part bubble :).
But good stuff, I've been playing 10 years, and I still struggle to sing and play, kudos !!

Si

p.s.
Just heard you doing the full part during the guitar solo :)

Good evening, burgundymouse (or may I call you 'Burg'..?)...
I've seen more than one band on stage do this number, and screw it up much more than you lot. You're not doing too badly at all. Improvements..? Of course. Si has it right; the bass line is very much more effective when played 'syncopated' from the start. It might make the singing hell at first, but I'm pretty sure that, if you tried it slowly at first, to get the feel, you'd be able to adapt.
The vocal harmonies are a great boost to this (and almost all...) song; the rhythmic could play a much greater role there (shyness permitting, of course...).
Not so keen on the drums (but then again, I'm a drummer; I'll try to be fair...).The recording quality (fine in itself as a working base...) doesn't permit much more than regretting the absence of hihats in there, which give the whole 'lift' to the piece on the original. The drumming (on the original...) is not rocket science (he's doing the lead vocal, so that's fair enough...), but has to be tight, present and lively. There are many 'key' breaks (not imperative if you're doing 'your' version, but seeing the work the solo guitar has done, I would expect similar from the drums...), and one must play with some sort of 'conviction' to hold it all together. I realise that playing softly so as to not drown out the others could be an issue, but that's just part of drumming.
Never mind me, I'm just an old hack with no taste; please don't take offence at any remarks, but you did ask for comments.
No malice intended, hope this helps...

Edited by Dad3353

From a bassist perspective, try to incorporate your little finger when doing the root/fifth/octave arpeggios. It will require less hand movement in the long run (excuse the Eagles pun) and make the playing easier. As said, play the arpeggio on the verses aswell. Try to avoid playing open strings (your A I think) as you have less control over sustain etc.

Vocally, very promising, you have a nice texture to your voice. Harmonies a must on this Im afraid, as in all Eagles songs.

Drummer, cant really hear you mate, esp Hi Hat.

Guitarist, bit overpowering on the effects/volume at the start. Try to avoid the slides down the neck after the little fills. You obviously know the solo well, just needs practice...as we all do.

Nice effort lads and lasses.